Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Masdevallia herraadurae growing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 06:09 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,613 Posts
Orchidementia is on a distinguished road
New leaves!

My Masdie herraadurae has at least two new growths!!

It's outside, next to the Dean Haas. It's been misty and foggy as, well, the area is famous for, and I think the Masides are feeling quite at home (my paivaeana has at least three new growths as well).
Old 11-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
that great that you have new growths on your Masdevallia
I must admit I have quite a few Masdevallias with new growths at the moment as well Masdevallias in flower spikes also.
Its really good to see new growth that means a happy chid
Old 11-14-2008, 06:43 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Yay! New growth is always a good thing! Congratulations!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
fabulous! it's found a great home in the Bay Area pictures, pictures!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:38 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
Well, I am having an opposite situation. I received mine last Friday. I watered it before I went out of town and left it sitting on the bar in the patio (shaded). When I returned Tues. it looked fine. The top felt dry so I gave a squirt of water. The next night I bumped it and it fell over and about 9 leaves fell off. I am so bummed. I PM'd Joe for some help. He encouraged me to post this to share my experience to date, so I am, somewhat discouraged and ashamed. When I left town we'd had a "cold front" and temps were in 70's in days and 60's in p.m. But it then warmed back up to the 80's.
He felt it was a combo of things and the heat. I'm thinking too much water too. I do have trouble with the moss.
I did as he suggested and removed it from the pot and checked the roots which seem fine. I repotted it with the moss and moved it into the house to a back room window sill (hopefully away from feline curiosity) that faces south. (a shaded back yard) I also put a fan on it. He said to keep it as cool as possible.
Well, that is my experience to date. I certainly did not think I would harm it so soon.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
I had a similar experience with the one and only masdie I have ever tried. I suppose I should give it another chance, but it was too frustrating to watch the leaves fall. It would grow new leaves. Then they would shrivel, get small black spots and KABOOM. I tried to grow it for about six months, but then I just gave up. I pitched it and am waiting until I develop enough courage to try again... They can be gorgeous and I will try again

PAT
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 PM

dr_frnkblck is on a distinguished road
Today was perfect Masd. weather here, 65 degrees and a nice breeze. I put the little sucker on the porch.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:43 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that Inmartiny. I killed one in 2 days flat. Don't give up. I'm trying to keep them alive too. One of these days we'll gt it right.

I have mine on the kitchen counter next to the sink for now. I brought the other two inside since they didn't care for the heat in the GH and was losing leaves. I just hope they stay alive for me. Never mind the blooms.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,382 Times in 3,092 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Yeah orchidmentia!! Seems you have found another group (besides the zygos and oncids) that just loooooooooooove you!

I was recently (about a wk ago) given 2 little Masdies (Angel Tears and Ignea 'Tetra Grande' x constricta '#22')....I'm hoping I can keep them alive. This project you guys are doing is perfect timing.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by patlee View Post
I had a similar experience with the one and only masdie I have ever tried. I suppose I should give it another chance, but it was too frustrating to watch the leaves fall. It would grow new leaves. Then they would shrivel, get small black spots and KABOOM. I tried to grow it for about six months, but then I just gave up. I pitched it and am waiting until I develop enough courage to try again... They can be gorgeous and I will try again
I have this friend ... No really! I have a friend who who lives a few blocks from where I do; we both got our Dean Hasses from the same dumpster. Mine is loving life, if growing leaves means loving life; hers was losing leaves and developing black spots, so I went and had a look. Leaf loss was due to being too hot and not enough air and was solved by going outside; black spots were caused by APHIDS! little bastards. Insecticidal soap sent them to whatever ring of Hell orchid pests go.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
Yeah orchidmentia!! Seems you have found another group (besides the zygos and oncids) that just loooooooooooove you!
Thank you! I think, though, Zygos and Masdies love NorCal, not me, and the Onc Alliances are the sl#ts of the orchid world ... they'll love anyone who'll water them!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
You kill me... Nice growing again, BTW!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 AM

lisascenic is on a distinguished road
You are getting your orchids out of dumpsters ?! ?! ?!

I just bought some plants from Mr. Haas, at the orchid show in Oakland CA.

How weird is it that I stumbled across this thread?