Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Masdevallia herraadurae growing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 12:32 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
My project Masdie is toast

I've struggled with this little guy from day one. I had moved it to a cooler room with morning sun exposure. The roots never really grew so it was not secure but I could see a couple of little green nubs starting. The cat found it and I discovered it it unpotted with a half-chewed leaf. I asked hubby to be sure to keep the door closed.
I just got back from a business trip. Hubby had joined me on the second day to enjoy the resort. He kenneled the dog and left food and water for the cats. BoBo (the chewer) was accidently locked in that room.
This is what I found when I got home late yesterday.
project-masdie-crime-scene-1.jpg crime scene

project-masdie-crime-scene-2.jpg

project-masdie-chewed.jpg chewed

project-masdie-icu.jpg in ICU

project-masdie-size.jpg how little it is

project-masdie-perpetrator.jpg the perpetrator

masdie-in-a-demi-cup.jpg what is used to be

The cat was a bit freaked and hungry when we found him. Thankfully there is a bathroom in there so he had water from the toilet. And he peed in the the tub (good kitty) The wood floor is brand new.
I've put the orchid in spag soaked in the wormtea mix but I don't know if it will make it.
The Following User Says Thank You to lmartiny For This Useful Post:
koshki (10-09-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Member Photobucket

Plucky Purcell is on a distinguished road
The perpetrator! LOL! Good that he was Ok, though.

I hope the masdie makes it back. I got my fingers crossed for you.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Member Photobucket

grandmapenguin is on a distinguished road
So sorry Imartiny. I know how you love your Chids.
Hope it makes it. The Perpetrator at least did the
right thing as far as you new floors. He wasn't all wrong.
Terry
Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
LOL - ok i know it's tragic, but your labels to your pictures are priceless

i am sorry that your Masd got into so much trouble w/ Bobo. i did see some new growth at the bottom so i wouldn't give up on it yet. hang in there for a few more and then see how it goes.

bad Bobo!!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,868 Times in 2,954 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
So sorry about your 'chid', I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets out of ICU soon. As for ther perpetrator, maybe get him his own catnip plant. I am forever trying to keep my cats from the plants and find having a steady supply of catnip growing helps to keep them away from my babies. Keep us posted!

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Okay, as an animal lover I have to stick up for BoBo!!! The poor kitty was hungry and I am assuming your masdie was the only thing edible in the room???

Even a bad lawyer could get him off on this crime!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

It is kind of funny though I wasn't laughing at first. But I did chuckle while making the thread. I did think he ate the whole thing because I couldn't find it. I located it under the bed. It looked like a dead wolf spider in the dim light so I used a broom to get it.
Catnip is a good idea. I've also seen pet grass in the pet stores.
When I took pictures my husband asked what I was doing. I told him I'm documenting the status of my project to post on geeks. He said "you guys are weird." I guess he's not quite a geek afterall.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Member Photobucket

CharliesAngel51 is on a distinguished road
Tell your husband we aren't weird, just different. I sure hope your Masdie makes it. I don't think it is toast, maybe just warmed bread.

I had to laugh at PhalPals comment about the bad lawyer. Too funny.

Love is meant to be given away.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I have to say that Bobo wasn't totally to blame! Bad husband for locking kitty in the wrong room! Hopefully it will come back! I've posted threads about cat-astrophies, too! We're weird, but lovable!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Oh no!!! Poor Masdie and poor BoBo. Both not at fault. Well, maybe the ICU will get it back to health. It's a shame cause it looked so healthy in the before photo. Hoping for the best. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,382 Times in 3,092 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Sorry Lynne....I was as I read the little captions next to the photos.

Change your perpetrator to an orange guy and you are in my world. The things I have to do to keep Cosmo out of the plants...well...you wouldn't believe.

Poor little masdie...he's injured for sure but those little green bits look promising. Personally, I'd change the ICU container to something that will give some air to the roots rather than a glass bowl (my 2 cents). ICU and a little extra TLC...I bet he pulls through.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Patticake we are usually completely harmless too, unless of course if you are a checkbook or credit card!

Last edited by PhalPal; 06-11-2009 at 08:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhalPal For This Useful Post:
orchidlover55 (06-12-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
lmartiny I would take that out of ICU the sphag looks way to wet
with the way the sphag looks you will loose this one with root rot.
I would keep this one in full shade for the time being and just have the sphag moist

looking at the root system on the Masdie they don't look the best either

that really is a bit of bad luck but I think you will get this one back

now for my next piece of advice have a stern talk with both kitty and hubby
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Katrina and Fred. Thanks. Yes, I am going to move it out of the bowl and wet spag. That was a temporary measure to ease the shock. (?) I didn't know what to do honestly. I'm soaking some bark and will mix small pieces with some chopped spag and put it back in the little pot. I'm going to try to make a little pot clip to hold it in place as that was a problem too.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM

GirlRocksOut is on a distinguished road
Oh no!!! Bad Bobo! I'm sorry about your poor Orchid!

We keep Cat Mint (yes mint not nip!) in a large pot on the front porch and it seems to deter our 7 cats (yes 7!!) from eating any of our other plants. Plus the smell is minty and wonderful. I just found out you can make a tea from it too! I wonder if it'll have the same effect on me as the cat?

I hope that your plant decides to grow again!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Administrator

I don't think sphag is a bad choice for the little guy at all...it just needs a container that will "breathe" a bit more.

I have all my masdies potted in a mix of shredded coco husk and sphag....they are happy, happy little campers. The really small ones are in little plastic pots and the larger ones are in net pots or slot pots.
koshki (09-27-2009), lmartiny (06-12-2009)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 AM

flowerchild is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartiny View Post
It is kind of funny though I wasn't laughing at first. But I did chuckle while making the thread. I did think he ate the whole thing because I couldn't find it. I located it under the bed. It looked like a dead wolf spider in the dim light so I used a broom to get it.
Catnip is a good idea. I've also seen pet grass in the pet stores.
When I took pictures my husband asked what I was doing. I told him I'm documenting the status of my project to post on geeks. He said "you guys are weird." I guess he's not quite a geek afterall.
Tell your hubby we are not the weird one's, it is the rest of the world that is off!!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Site Administrator

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
if that was my masdie I would repot in sphag in a seedling pot or tube you know the 1 inch small tuber pots
the masdie will be as snug as a bug in a rug
lmartiny (06-12-2009)
Old 06-12-2009, 07:31 AM

orchidfriend is on a distinguished road
Oh man... I laughed so heard when I read this. Does that make me a bad person? I'm sorry about you 'chid The other day may cat Aziza knocked over my Baldans Kaleidoscope but luckily it didn't get too damaged. Sometimes I wonder who started the life long struggle between plant and cat...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:49 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I don't think I have a smaller pot but will check my potting bench. The one it was in measures about 1.5 inches across at the top and is about 2 inches high. It fits inside a demitasse cup.
Orchidfriend, no you are not a bad person. It is funny, retrospectively.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

THE POOR KITTY WAS HUNGRY!! And probably bored too.....so the temptation was simply beyond his (probably very low) tolerance level!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Phal Pal the pet advocate. I love it. Good for you. And you are so right. I'm just glad he was OK. (and a bit relieved he didn't pee on the new floor) He knocked a few other things around but the room is only just getting put together again from remodel so was half empty. I can replace plants and stuff. But BoBo is not replaceable. (even though he does chew plants, bags, packages, etc. )
I'm off to repot the Masdie now, now that I've got some work caught up from my absence.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Site Administrator

yeah that sized pot should do fine
Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Member Photobucket

orchidlover55 is on a distinguished road
I haven't had a laugh all day but it was worth waiting on that one. Thank you for sharing that with us . I am glad BoBo got out of that one in more ways than one I think BoBo has been watching the show Man Vs. Wild on T.V. too much Sorry about the Masdie but it looks like it will come back especially with TLC
Give BoBo a
Old 06-13-2009, 12:30 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

BoBo gets plenty of hugs. Even when he is a stinker.
Anyway, here is the Masdie repotted. I won't bore you with a blow by blow. I'll see how it goes and report back in a couple of months or so. I appreciate everyone's input.
masdie-in-recovery.jpg

masdie-in-recovery-2.jpg
Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Phal Pal the pet advocate. I love it.
Someone had to defend your poor defenseless feline! Whenever one of our dogs will steal something that they know they shouldn't have, I always defend them with the defense of 'entrapment.'
Old 06-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Site Administrator

Quote:
BoBo gets plenty of hugs. Even when he is a stinker.
Anyway, here is the Masdie repotted. I won't bore you with a blow by blow. I'll see how it goes and report back in a couple of months or so. I appreciate everyone's input.
Attachment 23401

Attachment 23402
no problems that is what we are here for
to help our fellow geeks
Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Looks good Lynne!

Something I just recently learned (Thanks Brooke)...Masdies don't appreciate a lot of fert so since it's sick and in recovery...be sure to go easy on the fertilizer.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:29 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm I feel sorry for the cat and the plant lol. I was going to update on mine, but out of respect, I may just wait.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Its OK Brookn. Go ahead and update. I am curious.
And poor BoBo just has rotten luck. Today he fell in the pool while I was elsewhere in the house. My husband found a water trail leading under our bed. He was totally soaked, head and all and when he picked him up he went "urp." I think he may have been in some trouble seeing all the places he tried to get out. That is one of my big fears and never leave them out there when we leave. He does not have front claws. Late this evening we were on the patio and he would not step foot out the door. Traumitized again. Poor kitty.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Site Administrator

hmmm maybe he was training for the cat Olympics

Kat just to let you know I grow all my masdies in sphagnum moss and I do not use any fertilizer on them at all.

now I have done it I can hear the minds ticking over lol
katrina (06-14-2009)
Old 06-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

jbigio is on a distinguished road
What a CAT-astrophe get it cat astrophe HAHAHAHA
If you cover the shipping ill ship you a new one let me know
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbigio For This Useful Post:
fred (06-13-2009), lmartiny (06-14-2009)
Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Site Administrator

a wonderful offer Joe
Old 06-14-2009, 12:46 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Fred, I don't think he was training for the olympics, but swimming for his life. You stinker. Are you a cat person?
Joe, Thanks. I'll PM you.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:53 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Poor BoBo!!! How scared he must have been!! Now I am really feeling bad for him.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Member Photobucket

orchidlover55 is on a distinguished road
Bobo needs a vacation I really feel sorry for him I know he was so scared. I am glad he got out .
Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Site Administrator

Quote:
Fred, I don't think he was training for the olympics, but swimming for his life. You stinker. Are you a cat person?
Joe, Thanks. I'll PM you.
yep my wife owns a Chinchilla went we got married I had to marry the cat as well other wise my wife would not marry me.

gosh that was almost eight years ago now and he really is a big kitten
he is really well behaved he never even looks at my orchids
my wife brought him up as a kitten on a lead even to this day when he wants to go outside he sits at the back door and waits for me or my wife to put his lead on and off he goes
the lead is about 18 foot long
I have orchids inside as well as 3 parrots I can leave the cat inside all day with the orchids and birds and there have never been any problems
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
hey! that repot job looks great! i especially love the cork-for-reference sizing

i'm sure it will do fine from here on end. lots of good advice on this thread for you to pick from - and support for BoBo
lmartiny (06-15-2009)
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Fred, sounds like you married well.
And the cat likes you. Seems mutual actually.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Site Administrator

lol the only problem is I am not allowed to sleep with my orchids
I would love that instead of the cat lol
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,868 Times in 2,954 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
Fred- you're right. I think sleeping with an orchid would be alot easier than sleeping with a cat. Or in my case cats. We jockey for position all night. And heaven forbid you disturb one of them! I don't know how I would sleep without a paw in my face or cat on my stomach!

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM

jensan is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about the kitty vs chid. When my husband and I married we each had 2 dogs I had cat and 3 button quail, and he had a pair of conures. It was tricky at first but we all survived. good luck with your chids.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:20 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndywindy View Post
..... I don't know how I would sleep without a paw in my face or cat on my stomach!
Mine think it is THEIR bed; they are kind enough to allow me to sleep with THEM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidfriend View Post
Oh man... I laughed so heard when I read this. Does that make me a bad person? I'm sorry about you 'chid The other day may cat Aziza knocked over my Baldans Kaleidoscope but luckily it didn't get too damaged. Sometimes I wonder who started the life long struggle between plant and cat...
I just read this and I laughed uber hard too. I'm sorry that it's a shame that your Masdie became kitty food. I hope it recovers.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Glad you got a laugh Jenny. Sounds like you need one. Glad I could help.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:55 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

No need for a further "blow by blow" update. The plant was certifiably dead within two weeks. Phooey. Or as Jenny says, Poot! (I love that)
I thought about another try before deciding. But have decided to try again.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I am so sorry...
Old 07-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Lynne...look for one of the "warmer" growers.

I have mine outside right now and it's been in the 90's some days...most days upper 80's...night time temps are in the 50's and 60's which is unusually cool for our area but the masdies love it. (The warm growers are griping about it though)The majority are doing really well...I have 2 or 3 that are showing a bit of displeasure by getting the black shading on the backs of some of the leaves. Even w/the higher temps they continue to pop spikes and they have not slowed down one bit w/the new growths.

Everything I've learned/heard/been told...most masdies can take the higher temps during the day if they have a decent cool down (20 or more degrees) at night. Oh, and absolutely NO direct sun.

Last edited by katrina; 07-15-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks for the info Katrina.