Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Masdevallia herraadurae growing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

myorchid is on a distinguished road
My project Masdie herraadurae

Well, I finally joined the project! I wanted to wait to get mine until after I got back from vacation.

It arrived today and was looking good in its little pot. Very nice bushy plant.

I decided to try it in hydro. I put it in a nice glass container with hydroton and have it sitting on the half wall in front of a little fan.

I hope I can keep this one alive, I am now down to two Madies!

My colossus x bonplandi is at my office and seems to be doing well.

Here is the picture after the repot in hydro.
Attached Thumbnails
1404.jpg   1405.jpg  
Old 11-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Looks good!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
looks good
please keep us posted as I have never tried to grow a Masdie in hydro or semi hydro
I find this interesting
nice plant April
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
April that looks good. I'm debating how to grow mine. Let us know how the S/H is doing.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:52 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
It looks good! Welcome to the project!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Do your s/h glass pots have drain holes in them? They appear in the pics to be just plain drinking glasses.

If yours flourish I may be tempted to try s/h with some of my picky Masdies.

Brooke
Old 11-29-2008, 11:57 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
Do your s/h glass pots have drain holes in them? They appear in the pics to be just plain drinking glasses.

If yours flourish I may be tempted to try s/h with some of my picky Masdies.

Brooke
Brooke~ The Masdie that I have in the Cat container doesn't have drain holes and it's flourishing. Just make sure that the water is just below the root level. Sometimes the tips of the roots touch the water, but it seems that it didn't bother them. Now the roots have grown into the water and they don't mind it at all. I'll be doing an update on these guys here later.
Attached Thumbnails
001-752.jpg  

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
V.I.P Member

How do you flush the container? The bottom of s/h containers can get pretty nasty and I flush mine once a week. Do you tip them over and let them drain out of the top? Ignore it and just let the water totally evaporate before refill?

I have several s/h containers and have had to up pot some of plants to bigger pots. The bottoms of the containers are gross, even with regular flushing. I mean slimy, green/brown goo collected.

Brooke
Old 11-29-2008, 12:53 PM
V.I.P Member

Brooke
I have several other Phals in just hydro, no drain holes, and I flush them out about once a week by running water into the container and letting it over flow (keeping my hand on it to keep the hydroton in). It works pretty good and my plants all seem to be doing well.

I also keep the water level about an inch or so up from the bottom.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:37 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanks for all the info - an alternate way to grow :>) I'll look forward to the updates.

Brooke
Old 11-30-2008, 12:50 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
How do you flush the container? The bottom of s/h containers can get pretty nasty and I flush mine once a week. Do you tip them over and let them drain out of the top? Ignore it and just let the water totally evaporate before refill?

I have several s/h containers and have had to up pot some of plants to bigger pots. The bottoms of the containers are gross, even with regular flushing. I mean slimy, green/brown goo collected.

Brooke
Hehehe. Truthfully because of my Sahara like conditions in my apartment, the water completely evaporates and I just fill it back up to the level needed.

What I do is fill the water (bottled water for these guys) to the rim and let them soak for a few minutes then drain it to the necessessary level. Do it all over again the next day. LoL

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 AM
Executive Senior Member

Tarad is on a distinguished road
Hmmm would this method work well in very dry conditions. I live in Wisconsin and it is DRY in my house even with humidifier. Good luck hope it works for you. Tara
Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 AM

Marissa is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, this sounds like a good idea for my Dracula felix as it needs constant moisture. Right now it is potted in a vanda plastic basket in sphagnum moss. I water it almost everyday and it's sitting on top of a humidity tray but I use hydroton instead of pebbles. The moss also sucks the moisture from the humidity tray so it's constantly wet but it does not seem to mind.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Member Photobucket

LauraGR is on a distinguished road
Free Online Picture Editor - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE!

I was cruising the web a couple of months ago and saw a picture of some Vandas in glass jars. I have a couple of large ones and have been thinking about how to grow bigger Vandas in the sun porch without having a good place for them to drip, so I put a few of them in large jars. Pictured are Vanda Robert's Delight Purple and Rhync. Coelestis. One other I have in a glass jar I managed to rig up a system of chopsticks held together by plastic ties supporting just under the base leaves, that keep it sitting at the lip of the jar. These are bigger and the Rhyn has roots about 4' long, so I just twirled it around inside the jar and it sits up all by itself. The jar is about 16" high. I have about two inches of rocks in the bottom with water over them and the roots just sit nearby. The Vanda's roots were shorter so I put a large rock in the bottom of the jar and the Vanda sits on that, but it was really tippy so I put in another big rock, and it seems to sit pretty well.
I would love to hear comments/suggestions on this. Also, I know nothing about hydro s it relates to Orchids, and don't know what hydroton is - ?

Last edited by LauraGR; 11-30-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 11-30-2008, 11:32 AM

kip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraGR View Post
I would love to hear comments/suggestions on this. Also, I know nothing about hydro s it relates to Orchids, and don't know what hydroton is - ?
Laura, hydroton is a brand of LECA (light expanded clay aggregate) which absorbs water and keeps moisture around the roots of the plant. you do not want to have the roots of your plants sitting in water, since this will most likely cause them to rot. plants potted in hydroton are periodically flooded with water to soak the hydroton, then drained to allow airflow around the roots (which is extremely important for vandas). check the Hydro forum for more information.
The Following User Says Thank You to kip For This Useful Post:
fred (12-23-2008)
Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
V.I.P Member

Just wanted to post an update of my Masdie. It has been almost a month and so far it is still looking good. I haven't lost any leaves and it looks like there is a new little baby leaf starting.
Attached Thumbnails
1466.jpg  
Old 12-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
thank you for posting an update April
your Masdevallia looks pretty good
Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
April yours looks great. I lost a few leaves on mine already. Poo... Well, I haven't really been taking care of it being so busy and sick. Hope it'll survive.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:56 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
Solay I've lost leaves as well. But it's still living. I'm hesitant to repot given it is so fragile.