Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Masdevallia herraadurae growing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 08:36 PM

kip is on a distinguished road
My herradurae

it arrived today, along with my new Drac. sebundoyensis.

shown next to my Masdavallia Orange Tang

thanks joe

Last edited by kip; 11-08-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
It looks good! I like the Orange Tang. (The plant AND the drink!) Happy growing!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 PM

i like the orange tang too, but my favorite so far is my Mary Staal x tovarensis, that's why it's my avatar.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Your avatar is sweet. I can't wait to see your Dracula bloom, I am a huge fan of Dracs. but not ready to attempt one of those yet.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookn View Post
Your avatar is sweet. I can't wait to see your Dracula bloom, I am a huge fan of Dracs. but not ready to attempt one of those yet.
well, i haven't killed an orchid yet, so i figured i needed to try something more difficult. the drac is the one behind the herradurae in the second photo
Old 11-09-2008, 05:07 AM

Rishad Kalarikkal is on a distinguished road
wow..gr8 grng...

Edit] for us older Geeks I guess you mean Great Growing
Old 11-09-2008, 08:57 PM

thanks, rishad. the real test comes this winter. i'm not sure i'll be able to keep it warm enough for my newer orchids. i have about 20 that should do well this winter, but i'm not sure about the other 5
Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I am glad your Masdevallia arrived
very nice looking plant
as this is the Masdevallia herraadurae growing project I am sure the Dracula will be brought up in another section please try to keep this section on topic
many thanks
Old 11-16-2008, 02:43 PM

quick update: my herradurae has 3 new leaves
Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
I am having the opposite problem. It dropped about two thirds of its leaves in less than a week. I followed Joe's tips and it is now inside with a fan. So far so good now. I brought in a little rescue Phal to keep him company.
It seems with the fan the moss dries quite quickly. Or maybe because it is inside out of the humidity? I'm sure poking into it all the time won't help either. I searched "skewer" on the site but didn't come up with enough to understand that fully. Does the skewer stay in the pot? Should I set it on some pebbles with some water in the plate?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:41 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
The skewer can stay in the pot. As for the stones on a plate, I tried this with my other Masdies and it really didn't do all that much good.

Lynn with my other Masdies I panicked when they got dry in the moss. What happened was the moss on top was dry, but the bottom was wet and thus rot happened. The skewer will help to tell when the bottom is near dry.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
The Following User Says Thank You to articuno75 For This Useful Post:
lmartiny (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 AM

the fan, along with the lower humidity inside your house will cause it to dry out more quickly, which just means you'll need to water more often. you can set up a plate of water to increase the humidity around the plant. the pebbles should be just high enough to keep the pot out of the water. the skewer method is to let you know when to water. leave the skewer in the pot, then pull it out to check. if the skewer is still damp, you don't need to water. if it's dry, it's time to water. after you check the skewer, put it back in the pot and leave it there until the next time you want to check.
The Following User Says Thank You to kip For This Useful Post:
lmartiny (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
just a tip with using sphagnum moss it the sphag looks dry on the top of the pot just lightly mist the sphag... not the plant just the sphag.
I have never used the skewer method with sphagnum moss
when one has used sphag for a while one can tell with the weight of the plant if the sphag is becoming to dry needing water ot not.

when using the skewer method in sphag the bottom of the skewer is wet ant the top of the sphag is dry lightly mist the sphag with a pressure sprayer.

the rule of thumb I use if the top of the sphag looks dry its time for a drink just remember though sphag needs to be moist not wet.

sphagnum moss grows in cool moist conditions
lmartiny (11-17-2008)
Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM

haven't posted any updates here since 3 months ago, so I thought I'd let everybody know that the herradurae is still doing well. My heat went out this winter, but thankfully I only lost 2 plants. My larger masdies took some serious damage (the Mary Staal x tovarensis is still hanging on, the Orange Tang is gone ) The herradurae didn't seem to mind the drop to 35 degrees at all.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
So sorry to hear about the Tang. It was a pretty plant too.

35 degree drop and the hera didn't budge? Whoooaaa.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Wow! We had a heat loss early on, but it didn't drop that much! I'm sorry about Tang.. My herraadurae is doing well. New leaves, but no sign of bloom, yet. Keep us posted!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
So sorry to hear about the Tang. It was a pretty plant too.

35 degree drop and the hera didn't budge? Whoooaaa.
Jenny, most orchids will handle the cold if it's relatively dry. Out of about 35 orchids, I lost 2, another 2 suffered major damage, and 2 lost some leaves. The rest suffered no damage at all. The only one I was really worried about is my Schoenorchis micrantha, which lost several leaves, but now has a new growth and is starting to spike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Wow! We had a heat loss early on, but it didn't drop that much! I'm sorry about Tang.. My herraadurae is doing well. New leaves, but no sign of bloom, yet. Keep us posted!
Patti, several members of the local orchid society collect Masdies, so hopefully I'll be able to get another Orange Tang at our spring show.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip View Post
Jenny, most orchids will handle the cold if it's relatively dry. Out of about 35 orchids, I lost 2, another 2 suffered major damage, and 2 lost some leaves. The rest suffered no damage at all. The only one I was really worried about is my Schoenorchis micrantha, which lost several leaves, but now has a new growth and is starting to spike.

Patti, several members of the local orchid society collect Masdies, so hopefully I'll be able to get another Orange Tang at our spring show.
Yay!! I hope that a 'Tang' is in the future for you!!!