Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Masdevallia herraadurae growing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Masdevallia growing project

this forum is for the Geeks who are taking part in the Masdevallia herraadurae
growing project.
arrivals and all other information on the species.
articuno75 (11-04-2008), brookn (11-04-2008), jbigio (11-04-2008), kid a (11-19-2008), LouisW (11-20-2008), solay (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Junior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

LouisW is on a distinguished road
Just got mine. Its going in semi hydro and natural light supplemented by a little artificial.

I live in hot dry New Mexico so we will see how she grows.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Mine is still in the same pot it came in. I'm afraid to do anything with it for now. Just been keeping it moist. So far no leaf loss yet.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

janet_a is on a distinguished road
same here; it's in the front window which is maintaining about 60 degrees at the moment (to the annoyance of the other orchids) and i'm watering it about 2x/wk. it had a new little growth when i got it, and it's continuing to grow, so we'll see what happens.

http://www.oneplusyou.com/q/v/caffeine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Apart from the utility of binomials for standardizing reference for effective communication, Laelia Speciosa is a tad easier to pronounce and spell than its Atzec name chichiltictepetzacuxochitl."

--Alec Pridgeon
Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 PM

NicC is on a distinguished road
mine arrived in excellent condition although it fell partially out of the pot. The sphag. was very fresh and the roots excellent. I just put it back into the pot (usually I would have repotted in chopped sphagnum, tree fern fibers and charcoal) but it is happy low under lights and has given 2 new growth (about 2 weeks since arrival.)
Nick
Old 11-19-2008, 07:40 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Everyone sounds like they're doing well! Mine is doing well also. This is a great project!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:36 PM

Thanked 2,152 Times in 520 Posts
jim blanford is on a distinguished road
Mine is doing just great, haven't repotted but plan to maybe Neo. style we'll see what happens. Jim.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 AM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Mine came in and it looks great! It is so tiny and cute! And it even has two new leaf growths! I haven't repotted or anything, I think I'll just leave it how it is. In excitement of receiving this I stayed up until 1am last night to finish up my mini greenhouse. I had been working on it for months and set it aside so I finished painting it and put the glass back in only to realize I put the one with the light on it on backwards, lol. But it looks great. One of the glass pieces for the roof was broken so I think I'll just leave the back panel off to let more air flow through for it. I think I may put some of my resptrepias in there with it too. I'll post pictures of it in it's new home sometime. But here are the pictures of the plant itself! The pictures are kind blurry since they are off my phone but it'll do for know, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc00030.jpg   dsc00031.jpg  

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
glad to see, Kortney

welcome to the Masdie club! do post picts when you get that project done - it will be interesting to see how it comes along.

Malibu Masdie is doing well: several new growths on the front and back sections of the plant. i don't know if that's all me or more Joe in how he took care of the plant went in came to me, but i'd like to take the credit

it sits by the East facing window, takes rainwater, and night cooling w/ a fan. i try to make sure there's at least a 10 degree temp differential for the plant to feel.

hope everyone else's is doing just as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 AM

jbigio is on a distinguished road
Sound like everyone is on the right track
Old 11-20-2008, 08:39 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Yay!! Thanks, Joe!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:24 PM

hispoohbear is on a distinguished road
Got mine up here in Alaska yesterday. It looks just like everyone else's, in excellent condition. I was a little worried about it sitting in my mailbox in single digit temparatures, but I arrived home about 2 minutes after my mailman put it in my box, so it wasn't even a little chilly. Perfect timing!! Haven't repotted yet, but I have it under my CFL light with my phal.

Thanks again Joe!! I'm so excited!!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:22 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
Should all of these threads be consolidated? There seems to be several. Re: Masdevallia.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Imartiny if you have or want to have your own thread just start a new thread using your user name.
Example Fred Masdevallia
Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks Fred. No, I didn't want to do that. Just trying to keep up with them and any tips, etc.
Lynne
Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Site Administrator

thats OK
I know this is the species project I might go outside into my orchid house and take a few pics of my Masdevallias so you all can see how I grow them.

Edit] I thouht that I would attach the pics to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
24.11.08-003.jpg   24.11.08-004.jpg   24.11.08-005.jpg   24.11.08-008.jpg   24.11.08-009.jpg   24.11.08-006.jpg   24.11.08-007.jpg  
kid a (11-25-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
cool! :-) thanks fred!

I got a sweet giant neon blue computer fan to stick in the mini greenhouse roof, tee hee it has neat blue led lights in it, lol. So I post a pic of the masd in its home after thanksgiving. I'm debating on rigging it up to some 9v batteries or just hooking it up to the ugly old power supply from a spare computer. I'll be the mini victorian frankenstein rave glass house. Ok I'm gettin silly now off to bed...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 11-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Site Administrator

I think Anton run;s his fan off a 12v battery
I have mine running of the power supply its really not that hard on the power
its OK at times to be silly we are orchid geeks remember
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM

to show how dumb I am, from where on the plant can you expect to see a spike?
Nick
Old 11-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Thanked 2,152 Times in 520 Posts
jim blanford is on a distinguished road
I finally got around to repotting mine, it looks good and happy so far, I'll just have to wait and see. Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0385.jpg  

Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Site Administrator

nope not dumb at all Nick
click on the second attachment and you can see where the flower spike comes from with all 3 flower spikes you can see that

Edit] that looks pretty good Jim
Old 11-30-2008, 06:21 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim blanford View Post
I finally got around to repotting mine, it looks good and happy so far, I'll just have to wait and see. Jim.
Jim- I love your little wire basket! CUTE!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Jim that looks great! The basket is cute.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Here is an update on mine. In the beginning it lost a lot of leaves. I moved it inside to a back room to a shaded south facing window sill where it would be cooler. I stuck a skewer in it and tried not to overwater it.
It has not done anything. I decided to go ahead and repot it into bark which I am more comfortable with. I did that today. There were a few good roots and more bad roots. I trimmed the bad roots and dipped the ends lightly in cinnimon after I trimmed. It is so tiny it was a bit of a project. I took all the smallest pieces from my bark mix to use. I soaked it in the worm tea mix while picking out my bark, which I soaked just for a short time in some rain water. I actually downsized the pot. I moved it outside to the patio since it is cooler here for the next couple of days. I hope the steps I took are OK. We'll see.
masdie-repot.jpg masdie-repot-2.jpg masdie-in-a-demi-cup.jpg
Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

It looks good! I love the little pot! The ceramic might keep it cool, too.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks Patti. I didn't keep it in the ceramic for now. Just nestled it in another pot on my orchid shelf for stability and thought it should dry out some before I encase it in the demi pot. But that is a very good thought. Keeping it cooler. I'll put it back in there tomorrow once it dries some. That little demi was my grandmothers and is very old but other than sentimental, has no value. The handle is broken off and the plate was broken and glued back together but I've kept it because it was her's. So I thought it was a good way to put it to some use.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
The repot looks good! I think this will make the difference.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
V.I.P Member

myorchid is on a distinguished road
Looks great! Do you use a fan on it?

So far mine is faring well, (good thing as I have killed 3!) It has been in full hydro since receiving it and no leaf loss and the small new leaves are getting bigger!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
The repot looks good! I am sure it will be growing new leaves in no time.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 AM
Member Photobucket

kninum is on a distinguished road
lovely repot......what a great use for a sentimental, and such a pretty one- it will look adorable when it flowers
Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I have been eyeing this little tea cup for someting special. Looks like I found something. I'm sure Grandma would approve.
Repot always seems like a major step to me. They either take or they don't. I did have a fan on it when it was in the back room, off and on. When the cool front leaves, I'll put it back inside. And fan will be there.
I'll keep an eye on it and post an update.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
great repot job, lmartiny! and i especially love the pot. it's already off to a good start w/ your love and Grandma's blessing

i'm sure this little guy will do well.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 PM

mine seems happy enough and may have prompted some of its less happy neighbors to behave. A few new leaves but nothing that looks like a spike. I had repotted it into the original container with new, very loose chopped sphagnum since it has unpotted during the trip.
Nick