Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Masdevallia herraadurae growing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
I've got my "toe in the water"......Now what?

My plant arrived late this afternoon and when I arrived home my wife informed me that it was all unpacked and waiting for me in the spare bedroom (where the majority of my other orchids are now).
I took a quick look at it - Now what?
This is one of many genera that I have no experience with - what is the most common media for these? Any absolute DO's and DONT's?
PS - bananas are for Anton!
Attached Thumbnails
152-110508-01a.jpg  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Mayers, there are lots of good massie growers here on the forum who will be able to provide you with some good, practical advice. I have 3 but have had some struggles with them so I'll keep my mouth shut.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,278 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
You'll keep Indianna !
Old 11-06-2008, 04:29 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I posted seperately about my growing conditions, but since I only have 5, I'm sure no expert. Here's the AOS link AOS | Masdevallia
Mine are growing well, so you can check what I wrote for mine, but there's others that have grown them a lot longer than I that can advise better than I can. Good luck, Mike!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,354 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I know of alot of Masdie growers Mike that grow in sphagnum moss

I also know of growers that grow there masdie's in a fine bark mix.

myself I use sphagnum moss I keep the sphag moist at all times I never let the sphag dry out.
now that the weather is getting warmer here I soak my masdies once a week for about half an hour in rain water also lightly mist the sphag in between the soaking.
I also provide good air movement
my masdies are under 70% shade cloth.

one thing I don't do is use fertilizer on my masdevallias not with the use of sphagnum moss.

don't forget though I collect and use fresh sphagnum moss
Old 11-07-2008, 12:31 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks all - I think I will end up going with fine bark since I'm most comfortable with that for many of my other plants and have it on hand - we'll see..........
Old 11-08-2008, 05:45 AM

domresvanis is on a distinguished road
Hi there .It could be a be a good idea to plant the 1/3 of the the top with spagnum moss and the 2/3 of the bottom with fine bark.
Good growing..