Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Masdevallia herraadurae growing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

jbigio is on a distinguished road
If you're still having problems try this

Here is a suggestion for those of you that are still having problems with the
project Masd or any other Masd for that matter, Mount them

I have done this with 4 different species that where just not doing well no matter what i tried. All have done a remarkable turn around. Just keep in mind that they will dry out faster so you have to water them daily.
let me know how it works for you.
Joe

Last edited by jbigio; 05-27-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,447 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
When I visited Andys Orchids a few years back he had literally hundreds of masdevallias mounted in his cool house. Nearly everyone of them was in flower.

If one does mount a massie it's important to keep in mind that they still want and need masdevallia conditions: constantly moist. Depending on where you live this could mean daily watering (soaking) or in summer, watering 2-3 times a day to keep the substrate moist.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
So far mine are doing much better now that I have them outdoors with my Cyms. Not sure when winter comes what I will do. Mounting sounds like a good option though. Maybe I will try it. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Junior Member Photobucket

LouisW is on a distinguished road
I mounted mine a month or so ago. I seems to be doing well but it hasnt been long enough to say for sure.

Here is a tip to keep them moist. All my mounts are in a tank hanging, except the Masdie. I leave that one sitting on the bottom of the tank, with the very bottom of the cork touching the water. neither the moss of the plant comes in contact with the water but stays moist because the water wicks up the bark. works for me. so far.