Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Masdevallia herraadurae growing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Member Photobucket

kninum is on a distinguished road
if i were a Masd. herraadurae...

in eagerly awaiting my little addition i went out and found a great little digital thermometer that also tells the humidity (a perfect $10 find- my plants told me i should get it)
so i have been checking a few "growing" spots in my house and i have come up with two options that may work for my Masd. herra,

the first spot:Kitchen
temp 63-70, hum. 40-65%, bright diffuse light- east window plus artificial daylight, no extra air flow

the second spot:Bedroom
temp steady 69-71max, hum. 50-75% & maybe able to get it higher, artificial daylight-shade level, 24/7 exhaust fan in room making good but not strong air flow

right now the kitchen spot has a Phal. that i am encouraging to do "anything" by giving it a chilly nudge, and the 2nd spot has been waiting for a perfect low light plant to call it home. I was thinking the Masd, would like the hum./airflow/light level of the bedroom, but since the temp is a fairly steady 70 (day and night), i am not sure if it will be too warm.

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I would invest in a little desk fan to have going on it from a little distance. They really like moist, humid air...but that air flow seems to be really important. I turned my little fan off for about a week when I thought the humidity was dropping in here, and I lost two new growths on one of my masdies. Once I started the little fan up again, the situation corrected itself immediately. My basement temp is pretty steady at 65- 70F Humidity anywhere from 50% to 70% depending on the day. Mine are at the dimmer end of a grow light .(2 x 4 foot T-12's. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Member Photobucket

Starting the New Year Right!

...so after one "returned" wrong address try....

...then TWO, yes two, "Lost in the mail" tries

...shortly thereafter three little masdies finally arrived to my MIL home......just before Xmas....

of course a massive winter storm blew through and we were not able to make the trip to pick them up until last night.......Finally i have got them home- it's like i've won the lottery

Since my MIL has shown some interest in orchids, i gave her one of the two herraaduraes. She has been going thru a lot of stress this year and i think that a cute little seedling should provide a bit of distraction, plus i think it will thrive in her log cabin in the woods home.

the other two made the trip back home with me, one herra plus a bonus rolfeana ()

they do look like they may have been a little colder and darker than they would have liked (as the post took a couple extra days and a cold storm was blowing in)- but they are in very good shape all things considered

the rolf looks to have a couple of new growths on it, the herra looks like it's ready to go crazy with new growth......

here's a shot of the two little darlings and one of them in their new home

BTW i now have MOSS envy, such nice quality compared to what i have found....
Attached Thumbnails
masd-her-and-rolf-dec-08-sm.jpg   home-sweet-home-dec-08-sm.jpg  

Last edited by kninum; 12-31-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
wow that took ages to get to you but all things considered they look pretty good!

i especially like your new set-up

it was wonderful of you to share w/ your MIL - all good deeds come round.

looking forward to your new Masd going crazy in the coming year!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
They look great even after all that. I like the gravel tray set up. Good luck! I'm notorious for killing them.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Member Photobucket

Thanks
i have a bad habit of acquiring random dishes-and way to many of them, the black tray is actually a pasta serving dish
in the center i've placed a clay saucer upside down- for air circ. and drainage
around that i used fish tank gravel (easy clean) and some polished stones.
I have a larger blue bowl with a similar set-up next to it, that also has some crystals, and volcanic stones (pumice, obsidian).

eventually i want to create either a "neo" type planting or stumpish mount so that it looks like a little rock garden,

both dishes seem to maintain around 60% humidity as long as there is some water in them. but then technically i live in a coastal rain forest so i always seem to have decent humidity....
Old 01-24-2009, 04:30 AM
Member Photobucket

i thought i would do a quick update on my darling little Masdie.

well......everything started out good but it seems that they may not be happy enough in their current setting.
pics don't really show what's going on so i will describe it:
on both of the plants the leaves are looking wrinkly...sort of dry or at least lacking good turgor.
now they have been in a dim space- they do have their own light but it's a plain old lamp
the temp is avg 65-70 and the humidity runs from 50%-80% avg. 60%
while the airflow in the room is exceptionally good, some part of my equation is not right as there is evidence of some decline.
i think it could be either light or water as the culprit, but with more water i think i will need to boost the airflow right near them.....
so today while assisting the hubby as he worked on his computer i went
digging through some old computer boxes i found a pair of cute little mini fans that i am going to rig up into a circulation aide for them

i need to get a couple more things for the project but i will be sure to update again once i am done- maybe with a step-by step of how to do it....it actually seems pretty easy.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Check the roots and then make decisions regarding the light/fan/humidity requirements.

Brooke
Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I think part or all of the problem could be the use of an incandescent bulb for light. It gives off heat, (which masdies don't really care for) and it's not really useful for growing. While it's true that they don't like direct sun, they do need some light! I have mine in the basement where its cool (60 or so) and under grow-lights. They aren't RIGHT under the bulbs where it's the brightest, but kind of off to the side. (about a foot from the bulbs) Fluorescent bulbs burn much cooler, also. If anything, try the compact fluorescent bulbs with daylight spectrum.
The fact that your leaves are wrinkly, does sound like a problem with the roots being able to draw up water as Brooke states. I would check those as well. Make sure they get watered each day if needed, but not sitting in water.
I'm just guessing here, as I only have 5 masdies, but they're all healthy-(so far!) Good luck and let us know how it's going! Biggrin:

Last edited by patticake; 01-24-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Member Photobucket

the lamp light i know is not so great, but it's an addition to the 100w daylight bulb i have in the ceiling......i am planing to change it, but i have to switch the bulb socket for the proper bulb- it's a banana leaf lamp so i have to be careful with heat anyways.....hopefully a small CLF will be okay.

i am going to check the pots tomorrow-i'm out of cinnamon...just in case

for now i have completed my little fan project/ experiment
and so i will share:
both are very very easy, and safe if you are careful/respectful regarding electricity

first-up, the battery powered version
very compact, and portable.
how long it will last on one batt. depends on your fans consumption and quality of battery. I have a high consumpt. fan w/ led with a super cheap dolllar store battery.......it lasted several hours.....fun to make and could be useful.
supplies used-
1 80mm used high quality LED PC fan
1 9v battery connector, can be bought from radio shake or liberated from a broken toy
1 9v battery
good quality electrical tape
and wire cutters (wire strippers would be useful if you have them)

next up, the wired version!
i like this set up very much......i may have to consider building some more complicated circuits for other areas, but for now i have created a dual fan version to serve my masdies.
i connected the fans in parallel so they would each have "full" power, i could have connected them in a single line series but they would have spun almost too slow.
i am pretty sure all PC fans are 12v. however Amps can be different, the more amps the more airflow......i chose one high and one low flow

supplies for this one:
2 x 80mm PC fans-with the plugs snipped off
1 suitable wall-wart without another purpose....wall-what???......them lumpy plugs with the funny plug for your phone or whatnot...they change AC current to DC current (which the fans run on)....a suitable one would be a voltage from 6v-12v (no more!!! read the label)-mine is a 9v
good quality electrical tape
and wire cutters (wire strippers would be useful if you have them)

Note: be careful when you are testing for the wall-wart hot wire, your working with a LIVE (plugged IN) wire and completing a circuit, while 9v is not a large charge it may still be dangerous- that said, i didn't feel a thing when i accidentally completed the circuit with my fingers

and here are a few shots of the grow space......i've re-arranged it a bit, since the wall-wart only has a 6 ft plug and my nearest plug is 5 ft away

i hope i can get the madies back on course My MIL was too scared to take care of the seedling i gave her...she intrusted it to me until it got a little bigger...... i hope she made a good choice)
Attached Thumbnails
dual-fan-grow-space-jan09.jpg   masdie-close-dual-fan-jan09.jpg   p.am-x-p.eq-df-grow-space-jan09.jpg  

Last edited by kninum; 01-25-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Very nice space! I would change to the CFL soon. You can have one that gives off a lot more light, for much less watts. The ceiling light isn't doing anything, since it's too far away from the plants.Good luck! With the little fans going, you'll have to keep an eye on the watering, as they'll dry out faster. They should love those fans, though!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Member Photobucket

so i've upgraded the fan to a variable speed version ( so i can turn it up when it gets hotter)....and added several pumice stones in front of it to moisten the air...
and i've changed the lamp so i can put a CFL in it...I actually got Sun Blaster bulbs (which were recommended by another grower), and i have used tinfoil on the inside of the lamp as a crude reflector......so the growing space should now be suitable......

sadly thou...in checking what was in the pots, i found very little in the way of live roots left.....

the plants do look better than they did so......with a hope and a prayer....and some fungicidal rooting hormone i hope i can get these little darlings back on track.
they do have lots of new growth trying to grow... so i do think there might still be a chance for them......
Old 01-31-2009, 08:50 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I'm sending out good growing "vibes"! Keep us posted!
kninum (01-31-2009)