Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > HYBRID GROWING PROJECT #1

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brassianopsis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Brassianopsis is on a distinguished road
Hybridization of Inter-Genera

Because I don't do orchids for money, I can afford to mess around with them.
Experiment, basically and that's what I did.

The pollen father/donor is a mature phalaenopsis, nothing special, large purple-pink white spotted flowers.
The mother/seedpod parent is a mature Brassia (Arcuigera? Verrucosa?), that looks equally standard.

The phalaenopsis never took to the Brassia pollen (still wondering why) but the Brassia is a different story.
It's now about 21 days and the stalk that connects the flower head to the spike has become wildly inflated, half have matured to this stage so far, and naturally not expecting this.

I'm beginning to suspect that I'm wholly unprepared for this, first the undertaking (can someone give an all round, all species guide to germination?) and also well, an inter-genus hybrid is bound to be complicated.

And yes, I do understand that the likely-hood of an actual seed being fertile is virtually zero.
But where's the fun in that?
gerneveyn likes this.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:45 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Fine to experiment, but . . .

A Phal and a Brassia are pretty far apart from a genetic standpoint. Sort of like trying a Homo sapiens x spider monkey cross (yeah, sorry I went there, don't try this at home!)

Brassia x Miltonia, for example, could work, or Phalaenopsis x Vanda. That would be more like Homo neanderthalensis x H. Sapiens, which probably did happen, because some people alive today are considered to have H. neanderthalensis in their genetics.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:05 PM

Brassianopsis is on a distinguished road
Hey, thanks for the reply, you're definitely right and you certainly know more than me on the matter of orchid genetics.

But, in spite of that the seedpods are still growing and I don't know how to adequately care for them, especially as I don't know how treatment differs from Brassia to Phalaenopsis, or how that'd be effected by their nature.

Tags
brassia, germination, hybrids, phalaenopsis