Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > HYBRID GROWING PROJECT #1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
compatible plants data?

I have a question or better a need for education on a matter.
I learned how to check for the parents of a hybrid on RHS and how to check if there are registered hybrids in the data base of 2 parents or at some time one parent along most of the registered mates it had.

However i don;t know where i could find info on theoretically compatible parents of a hybrid.

Let's say i have 2 dens, can they produce a seed pod no matter what dens they are or there are subgroups of similar/compatible genes? is there an online database/resource site with info on gene count and educational articles on hybrids?

Well i am asking because i have 2 awesome looking (to my eyes) dens that i would like to try crossing but i don't want to sacrifice the flowers in vain.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Usually orchids of the same genus will cross. Some won't because of differences in chromosome counts, etc. but usually they will.

Also often times members of the same alliance will cross. For example in the Cattleya Alliance we have cattleyas, laelias, sophronities, encyclias, epidendrums, broughtonia, etc., etc., etc. most of which are all pretty much interbreedable (if that's a word).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
Stelios (09-21-2009), zaeem (09-25-2010)
Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
So a den victoria reginae and a den antennatum could cross?! I can't find a registered cross I wonder why none tried it