Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   general discussion (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/general-discussion-188/)
-   -   when you make your greenhouse? (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/general-discussion-188/when-you-make-your-greenhouse-27575/)

vegan 08-19-2012 02:07 AM

when you make your greenhouse?

Hi all,

I make this thread because I being confused how orchid grower fill their greenhouse with so many orchid. :dontknow:
Are you make the greenhouse first?
Or you grow your orchid on your terrace or backyard with shady roof until it can't hold no more orchid, then you make your first greenhouse?
Write your story here. :D :D :D

And I have reserved the first place for you, dear Sir Ron........... :D :D :D

Bolero 08-19-2012 02:32 AM

It would say that it varies. I think most people long first grow plants before deciding they need a building for them.

Once I got to about 40 orchids I started thinking of a greenhouse which I bought second hand...........then I moved and built a large shade house and then another hot house once my plants reached in excess of 2000.

vegan 08-19-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolero (Post 343823)
It would say that it varies. I think most people long first grow plants before deciding they need a building for them.

Once I got to about 40 orchids I started thinking of a greenhouse which I bought second hand...........then I moved and built a large shade house and then another hot house once my plants reached in excess of 2000.

Thanks for comment Bolero.
2000 orchid is very very big number.
Can't imagine that. :top::top::top:
Do you take are of them alone or you have someone to help you?

Orchidementia 08-19-2012 04:20 AM

I am currently growing about 300 orchids on my balcony of my apartment (I have a lot of miniature orchids) and am having a 9' x 16' greenhouse built at my house (we're having extensive remodeling done on the house, too). I just had a balcony when I started growing, and the greenhouse will be larger than needed for my collection as it is now - some of my plants prefer to live outside year 'round, and as I mentioned, much of what I grow now are miniatures.

Anton 08-19-2012 05:11 AM

I had a small GH first, but as I want to make it a paying hobby once I retire, decided to make a very large one that I COULD GROW MY COLLECTION INTO.

I built in a degree of "future proofing", in other words, I have allowed for expansion of my collection by various means, such as being able to add mesh to hang plants from, mesh as part of the construction, again to hang plants from, I can use my under benches if need be for plants that need cooler, more humid conditions.

Plan, plan, plan. Its the old carpenter's saying, "measure twice, cut once".

Bolero 08-19-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegan (Post 343836)
Thanks for comment Bolero.
2000 orchid is very very big number.
Can't imagine that. :top::top::top:
Do you take are of them alone or you have someone to help you?

Even though I work full time I look after them alone. I must admit it had become a bit much so I have reduced my collection.

I am now focussing only on Masdevallias, Paphs and Phrags........but still have to many. In fact I have another 7 flasks coming soon.........when I move into a bigger house I plan to build to hot houses and fill them up. But that's another year away.

Flasks are the key to accumulating a large collection quickly.

vegan 08-19-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchidementia (Post 343839)
I am currently growing about 300 orchids on my balcony of my apartment (I have a lot of miniature orchids) and am having a 9' x 16' greenhouse built at my house (we're having extensive remodeling done on the house, too). I just had a balcony when I started growing, and the greenhouse will be larger than needed for my collection as it is now - some of my plants prefer to live outside year 'round, and as I mentioned, much of what I grow now are miniatures.

wow... so you grow them in 2 places?
it must be hard if you grow them alone... :top:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 343841)
I had a small GH first, but as I want to make it a paying hobby once I retire, decided to make a very large one that I COULD GROW MY COLLECTION INTO.

I built in a degree of "future proofing", in other words, I have allowed for expansion of my collection by various means, such as being able to add mesh to hang plants from, mesh as part of the construction, again to hang plants from, I can use my under benches if need be for plants that need cooler, more humid conditions.

Plan, plan, plan. Its the old carpenter's saying, "measure twice, cut once".

nice plan... your greenhouse must be overcrowded, right? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolero (Post 343845)
Even though I work full time I look after them alone. I must admit it had become a bit much so I have reduced my collection.

I am now focussing only on Masdevallias, Paphs and Phrags........but still have to many. In fact I have another 7 flasks coming soon.........when I move into a bigger house I plan to build to hot houses and fill them up. But that's another year away.

Flasks are the key to accumulating a large collection quickly.

great Bolero... you take care of them alone.
hot house? is it means house with heater? sorry, I never heard them since I live in tropical country. :D

Anton 08-19-2012 07:14 AM

Vegan, this will give you an idea, this is my Web site:
Warm House Construction

Followed by the 2 year anniversary images:
Warm house 2 year anniversary 26th January 2012

Ron 08-19-2012 07:35 AM

Hi Ivan, interesting thread.
I have always grown plants of some sort, Cacti from seeds, carnivorous plants from seed and cutting were my early interest and the start of building my very first greenhouse. Made out of Polyflute back in the late 1970'S. It was about 8 feet wide and about 16 feet long, quickly followed by another of about 8 X 12 feet for all my carnivorous plants.
O, I did also have 3 Cymbidiums bought in 2 inch tubes, this all in the frost city of Canberra ACT.
It was not until I was forced to give up work and move down the Coast of NSW in 96 did I thing of growing something else.
I had to sell my Cact Collection of several thousand plants and I bought a lot of carnivorous plants with me to the coast.
Due to several years of battling with cancer I lost all these plants except the 3 Cymbidiums I had bought many years ago, they were now it 10 inch pots and were flowering very well.
As my health improved I started to look for a new hobby and the start of my love for orchids.
So with no income and not much of saving I started to look at buying flasks of orchids.
Paphiopedilums and Cymbidiums were my main love back then.
I was playing lawn bowls to try and get my health back, one night I won the luck door prize of several hundred dollars.
This was the start of my orchid hobby getting out of control, this was a fun way of getting a collection going quiet cheep, in about 2006 I moved to my present location and built a new greenhouse after selling my big fishing boat and a Cymbidium house for my ever-growing collection.

For all those who pay big money for plants think about flasks, seedling Cymbidiums for about AU or US $1 per plant, 25 to 30 plants per flask and in 3 years they all start to flower!
Same for the Paphs although they came a lot dearer around AU or US$6 to 8 per plant from flasks, then the Phallies from flask again as low as US$2 per plant.

This also gave me lots of quality plants to show in our local Orchid Club and win many championships over the years.

Now my only problem is I am addicted to buying orchids in flasks, but what a great hobby and the enjoyment of seeing them flower for the first time.

Ivan from what I know of Indonesea it is tropical and you will only need a structure to keep out pests and protect the flowers in the wet season, in other words you live in paradise

vegan 08-19-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 343849)
Vegan, this will give you an idea, this is my Web site:
Warm House Construction

Followed by the 2 year anniversary images:
Warm house 2 year anniversary 26th January 2012

Thanks Anton. Nice to see your greenhouse.
There is no greenhouse in my country.
They just make the bench and put net or plastic for the roof and it is done. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 343851)
Hi Ivan, interesting thread.
I have always grown plants of some sort, Cacti from seeds, carnivorous plants from seed and cutting were my early interest and the start of building my very first greenhouse. Made out of Polyflute back in the late 1970'S. It was about 8 feet wide and about 16 feet long, quickly followed by another of about 8 X 12 feet for all my carnivorous plants.
O, I did also have 3 Cymbidiums bought in 2 inch tubes, this all in the frost city of Canberra ACT.
It was not until I was forced to give up work and move down the Coast of NSW in 96 did I thing of growing something else.
I had to sell my Cact Collection of several thousand plants and I bought a lot of carnivorous plants with me to the coast.
Due to several years of battling with cancer I lost all these plants except the 3 Cymbidiums I had bought many years ago, they were now it 10 inch pots and were flowering very well.
As my health improved I started to look for a new hobby and the start of my love for orchids.
So with no income and not much of saving I started to look at buying flasks of orchids.
Paphiopedilums and Cymbidiums were my main love back then.
I was playing lawn bowls to try and get my health back, one night I won the luck door prize of several hundred dollars.
This was the start of my orchid hobby getting out of control, this was a fun way of getting a collection going quiet cheep, in about 2006 I moved to my present location and built a new greenhouse after selling my big fishing boat and a Cymbidium house for my ever-growing collection.

For all those who pay big money for plants think about flasks, seedling Cymbidiums for about AU or US $1 per plant, 25 to 30 plants per flask and in 3 years they all start to flower!
Same for the Paphs although they came a lot dearer around AU or US$6 to 8 per plant from flasks, then the Phallies from flask again as low as US$2 per plant.

This also gave me lots of quality plants to show in our local Orchid Club and win many championships over the years.

Now my only problem is I am addicted to buying orchids in flasks, but what a great hobby and the enjoyment of seeing them flower for the first time.

Ivan from what I know of Indonesea it is tropical and you will only need a structure to keep out pests and protect the flowers in the wet season, in other words you live in paradise

Sir, that is a inspirational experience. :top::top::top:
It is a long process to you to get there.
I am lucky I fallen in love to orchids 1 years ago in age 23 years old.
I still have long time to have fun with them. :D

There are no cymbidium or pahp flask here.
Just dendrobium, phal, cattleya, and rhynchostylis flask in here.
They cost so cheap if compared to your currency, about US$ 3-4 per flask.
But the quality is not good as yours, and they are not vary.

Yes, I only need to provide roof and bench and that is done.
But sir, I must have space to build it. The problem is I don't have it.
Besides, I live on about 25 meter on the sea level.
Many grower told me to just grow cattleya, dendrobium, and vanda, because the temperature is high.

So sir, for now, growing orchid is your hobby and selling orchid is your income right?
What a wonderful feeling when hobby become our income. :D

Orchidementia 08-19-2012 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=vegan;343847]wow... so you grow them in 2 places?

Right now, I'm just growing on my balcony - the greenhouse arrives next week. I hope we move into the house soon, as major construction is planned for the balconies here at this apartment complex - and I have to move the plants one way or the other! If we're still living here when the construction starts on the apartments, I'll be making a fairly long drive out to the house and back to keep the outdoor-living orchids watered!

Ron 08-19-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

So sir, for now, growing orchid is your hobby and selling orchid is your income right?
What a wonderful feeling when hobby become our income.
Hi Ivan how I wish I could make a living out of it, I do not have the room.
My income from excess plants hardly cover my costs, especially the electricity bill.
It gives me some money to buy more plants with so I can grow and

Bolero 08-19-2012 10:06 PM

Hi, a hothouse means a glasshouse type structure with a heater for the cooler mornings.

The other house is a shade house which is unheated and uses shade cloth only for covering in shade. This is used to grow cold growing plants like Cymbidiums, Dendrobiums, Cattleya's, Masdevallia's and Paphs.

vegan 08-20-2012 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=Orchidementia;343971]
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegan (Post 343847)
wow... so you grow them in 2 places?

Right now, I'm just growing on my balcony - the greenhouse arrives next week. I hope we move into the house soon, as major construction is planned for the balconies here at this apartment complex - and I have to move the plants one way or the other! If we're still living here when the construction starts on the apartments, I'll be making a fairly long drive out to the house and back to keep the outdoor-living orchids watered!

You better move as soon as possible. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 343973)
Hi Ivan how I wish I could make a living out of it, I do not have the room.
My income from excess plants hardly cover my costs, especially the electricity bill.
It gives me some money to buy more plants with so I can grow and

You have so many orchids blooming sir.
I thought you made your living from that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolero (Post 344003)
Hi, a hothouse means a glasshouse type structure with a heater for the cooler mornings.

The other house is a shade house which is unheated and uses shade cloth only for covering in shade. This is used to grow cold growing plants like Cymbidiums, Dendrobiums, Cattleya's, Masdevallia's and Paphs.

wow. Heater? In my place we have difficulity to keep them in cold temperature.