Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project April 2010 > general discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By orchids4me
  • 1 Post By trev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 04:38 AM

Mattzilla is on a distinguished road
phal blooms didn't open... why?

This phal's blooms never opened last year.... they got to the stage where they looked like they were about to open but never did. some got to the stage as pictured and fell off

after researching a bit and fine tuning my growing skills i am pretty sure that i wasn't watering them enough last year. i've always been scared of over watering but i never soaked the media fully like i do now. i only ever watered with a watering can and left them a while between drinks

other than under watering is there another reason?

thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 AM

bearded orchid is on a distinguished road
Many call this "bud blast." During development, buds are susceptible to numerous stimuli which may cause them to abort. Sudden deviations in temperature and humidity as well as dehydration or over-watering are common causes. Additional reasons can stem from the presence of methane or ethylene gases in the air around the plant.

Methane is a natural byproduct of fertilization in flowers and is the reason a flower wilts after pollination; this association can also cause premature wilting of buds if the gas is present while development. Ethylene gas is a byproduct of fermentation and causes buds to age prematurely and subsequently abort.

Finally, light and its relative intensity on developing buds can affect their successful growth. If light is too weak a plant can abort buds in lieu of conserving energy under sub-par photosynthesis. Conversely, too strong of light can cause overheating and desiccation leading to abortion or scarring.
Anahiii24 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 AM

Mattzilla is on a distinguished road
wow excellent info thanks

other phals bloomed in the same spot at the same time so i would say likely under watering of that particular plant

the year before last it had plenty of big blooms

fingers crossed i have the watering right for this year!

thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Some of the environmental conditions mentiond but I will add one because it happened to me the past 2 summers .... Heat during a heat wave. Firt year I tried misting and that made the blooms wilt that were open and the othser balsted. Last summer again a heat wave ac not on soon enough and blasted... Any ripe fruit keep it away from your blooming chids. I've lots blooms to the methane gas also from just a few pieces of fruit oranges and bananna's I think it was a few feet from my grow space ( my grow space is the dinning room) so the fruit is now either in the living room or other side of the kitchen closer to the back door lol only worry when there are blooms involved. No blooms fruits not a problem. My mom asks me now if I have blooms lol some are so small you don't notice them right off....
But yes. Watch the heat and any direct sun especially the hot afternoon sun on them....I grow facing east all morning sum for my lower light med light level plants (Paphs and Phals) higher light are under lights.
NiNiDazzle likes this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 PM

englandfx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearded orchid View Post
Many call this "bud blast." During development, buds are susceptible to numerous stimuli which may cause them to abort. Sudden deviations in temperature and humidity as well as dehydration or over-watering are common causes. Additional reasons can stem from the presence of methane or ethylene gases in the air around the plant.

Methane is a natural byproduct of fertilization in flowers and is the reason a flower wilts after pollination; this association can also cause premature wilting of buds if the gas is present while development. Ethylene gas is a byproduct of fermentation and causes buds to age prematurely and subsequently abort.

Finally, light and its relative intensity on developing buds can affect their successful growth. If light is too weak a plant can abort buds in lieu of conserving energy under sub-par photosynthesis. Conversely, too strong of light can cause overheating and desiccation leading to abortion or scarring.

And this is exactly why phals....are so damn picky!!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

trev is on a distinguished road
I noticed in my Phal, when there is a bud forming and it feels a sudden temp warm up, it tends to blast..it loves feeling comfortably cool..so I make sure to run the ceiling fan to have better airflow, then checking the media that it is moist enough, holding off watering, so typically I water every week and a half.
PaulB likes this.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Anahiii24 is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone for their great advice. Mine did the same thing I got all the bulbs and then they all fell off leaving the plant with no flowers. It eventually turned out yellow and I think that's the reason why it stopped blooming. I overwater my plant.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM

bumpman is on a distinguished road
I had some phal blast when I moved the plant to a better spot for viewing, but with a little warmer temps (and there were phals growing in that new location). When I put it back in it's original spot the final few buds opened nicely. Two lessons I learned the hard way- don't move the plant until all the buds blossom and phals get used to their local conditions of light and temp so no quick changes.