Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Dendrobium Cathy Beck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Progress report-Dend. CB

While ordering some other plants from Jerry, I decided to add another Dend. Cathy Beck to the one I received last week. The first one I received is now growing another ps.bulb. I potted both in a 4" pot, using a lot of peanuts to take up space so the plant won't drown when watering.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,354 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
looking good Sandra
Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
LOL My pinky fingernail looks bigger than that psbulb! These little Dens are just adorable!

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:09 AM
V.I.P Member

myorchid is on a distinguished road
that looks great! Can you give me a little info on the care of the Den Cathy Beck? I mostly have Paphs.

I got mine today though it is smaller than yours. I hope it grows fast!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
V.I.P Member

update

After reading Jerry's update on his Cathy Beck's, thought I'd update on the progress with mine. This dropped off the shelf this morning when I was removing the bungee cord I had strapped on it....the tension gave way and this went flying....no damage...whew.

It's been growing the new pbulb for about a month now and I just discovered 2 more pbulbs. As Jerry mentioned about his, this one also has a massive amount of new roots.

As with my other Dends, bulbs and roots typically begin growing after flowering (except for my Antelope Dend.), so I'm not sure if to assume that this plant had probably recently flowered prior to my receiving it? Jerry, if you read this, can you set me straight on this?

Last edited by sandra; 05-22-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
After reading Jerry's update on his Cathy Beck's, thought I'd update on the progress with mine. This dropped off the shelf this morning when I was removing the bungee cord I had strapped on it....the tension gave way and this went flying....no damage...whew.
Scared me for a moment. I thought the jinx returned.

I think Jerry said that some had previously flowered. Can't remember....

They look great Sandra!!!

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
The brown stick coming out of the top, is where it flowered previously. Somewhere Jerry said that. Back when you were getting this project off the ground, there were so many posts everywhere! I'm not sure which thread, but I'm sure that's what he said. Yours looks great! Mine still has just the one new growth, but it's slowly coming along!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 AM
V.I.P Member

thanks Jenny & Patti.

Yes, I know it's flowered before, I'm wondering when, is all and if it's growing, flowering cycle is like other Dends.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:36 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Den Cathy Beck can flower any time of the year.

I posted this link before of the Univ of Hawaii's results and there is a graph on the bottom of frequency of flowering by month

Hawaiian Floral Nursery: University of Hawaii cultivars

As to your antelope Dens, the answer varies some for the type. I grow mostly Canaculatum types and these grow and flower throughout the year. These flower heavily from June to January and grow new canes at the same time. I especially like them since they flower 2-4 times a year on multiple canes and numerous long lasting flowers.

My Den Pixie Princess is early this year and one pot has six spikes already.

This photo only had 4 spikes

Many others antelopes commonly seen are crossed with Den Jacklyn Thomas which gives them a lot of good features (smaller; compact; year round flowering; tall flower stems; and long lasting cut flowers) but moves them from the pure antelope group.

Most Dens are breed for the cut flower trade.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
Does anybody know if these are warm or cool growers? What should the night time temperatures be

PAT
Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 AM
V.I.P Member

Speaking of Antelope Dends., mine hasn't rested (yet) since I got it last year. I repotted into a larger container but it's mostly filled with peanuts (ghost poop). This was in a 3" pot when I got it and I had no way of keeping it standing so after almost ruining it by trying to get the original pot it was in, off, I just put the whole plant in a larger pot. It immediately grew a cane and now I'm noticing lots of root growth.

Dendrobium Lorrie Mortimer

Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Sandra, that is beautiful and very healthy looking!!! I'm adding that to my list!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 05-23-2008, 03:23 PM
V.I.P Member

thanks kid a. You'll find lots of these for sale beginning in Autumn. By far, the easiest of all my Dends. Water once a week in summer, twice a month in winter. It's like those "Chia Pets" you see advertised on t.v......water and watch it grow.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:52 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
That sounds easy enough! I still haven't gotten my stimulus monies yet :-( I want to order a Dend., from Jerry when I place my order. I don't have any at all but I absolutely love them. There are several very sick and sad looking Dends at a lowe's by my parent's house. I always want one but don't want to buy an unhealthy to start off with.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 05-23-2008, 05:33 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a, I should have mentioned that Dendrobiums in Florida go together like, love and marriage. I couldn't think of another example to give and true, love and marriage don't necessarily go together but you know what I'm saying.....it's great weather here for them, no compensations I have to make up for to get them to grow well.

P.S., or...peanut butter and jelly!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 PM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
Sandra,
That is one of the most striking antelope Dens. that I have seen. I'm still playing around
with my Non-Phal. Dends that I haven't had a lot of success growing. I love this family
and only hope in the near future I can grow and re-bloom them as well as some of the
members here.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanks Tobi. In all fairness though, I'm not a great example of one who necessarily grows these well. Florida's weather is doing most of the work here, there's no challenge except for over watering, perhaps. Maybe you and Mrs. Tobi should consider moving here.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Den Lorrie Mortimore is another University Of Hawaii cultivar. It is named after the wife of the president of the University.

I used to buy these several hundred at a time but they have been out of production for the last two years. The U Hawaii relates their production.

Here is a link to their release information. Notice that the petals fade from pale lavender to sea green in the first couple of weeks. It is not dramatic and you may miss it if you are not looking for it.

Hawaiian Floral Nursery: University of Hawaii cultivars

and a close up of the flower. There are 2 Rs in Lorrie, I have been spelling it wrong for years.