Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Black Orchid: Fdk After Dark Project

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 10:04 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
The bigger seedlings were the first to wake up for me. They had a month head start for this growing season. There are only a few that got that big, even from the early risers. Most are much smaller. I am still happy with the growth this season.

As far as tips for the Catasetums. I believe that the best time to move them to S/H is when they start the new growth in the spring. I had one lose al of it's roots when I transplanted it after the roots were 6 inches or longer.

I actually move them as soon as I see a new growth. This way I can orient them in the pot in a way that they will have room to grow. I move them into cleaned and air dried LECA. I then wait for the new roots to "disappear" into the LECA. What I mean by this is, when I can't see the bright green/yellow tip anymore because it is deep enough into the pot. Then I start with a worm tea water, followed up by fertilizer water when it is needed.

Hope this helps April. Let me know if you have any other questions.
myorchid (09-13-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 12:15 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Great update Jay!
Thanks.....
With as many "babies" as you have given away its amazing how many you still have left - and they are so BIG too!
Looking forward to seeing some blooms in a few months!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:13 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Great update! Mine are more like your smaller ones! I'll up date soon...It's been a busy summer. I've taken good care of Frick and Frack, but they are more in line with your smaller ones. Those big ones are amazing!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:01 PM

tocarmar is on a distinguished road
I have been following this thread since I joined the forum!! I even went back & read from the beginning ( O.K. looked at pics)
Jay,
Do you want to sell/trade for a few of the seedlings??
I would like to try them!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 PM

penangirl is on a distinguished road
i just picked up this blog yesterday. i have become enamoured by catesetums the begining of this summer, i have 2 svo fredclarkeara;s one is a large 2 bulb after dark black pearl and one large 2 bulb after dark mo. painted destertx donna wise 'susan' remake which fred said could be larger and longer lasting than any other svo black orchid also he says it has a 33 percent chance of being all black. i also have a cooperi which bloomed yesterday.
let me know if anybody has any intrest in future trades. even though it will be a while until division would be possible.
this has been a interesting blog to read.
i also would be interested in purchasing some of those flasked seedlings.

one other thing, i spoke to fred about the honey dew/sugury substance and he told me that all catasetums give off this suger substance and it is nothing to worry about, just keep in mind that spidermites also deposit similar sugars.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:14 PM

zuri is on a distinguished road
I would definitely be interested in participating in future trade projects.

My very first FDK (the one I bought) has produced an interesting growth. What is this? Anyone? It's not a root. It can't be a root. Unless it's decided to suddenly produce rather massive roots... yes, not a root.

As you can see, it has an ant on it. Time to get out Brookn's miracle spray.
Attached Thumbnails
fdk-growth.jpg   growth_mag.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Zuri,

Did you ever figure out what that growth was?

Nothing from mine yet. Down to 6 leaves though. Hope something happens soon.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Hi everyone! I thought I should stop by and say . I've been MIA for quite a while.

Jay -- I saw your After Dark. It's much bigger than mine! But then, a few of Fergie's leaves got bent/broken. She took flight for the fourth...fifth time! LOL Great growing on those seedlings. How can I acquire one?

Connie -- I still have "your" bulb. It's doing nothing, but still green and alive. Email me your address, so I can send it over.

The update...

Fergie has a light yellow-green bump between the first few leaves..since late August! I know it's a flower spike fighting to break through. But it just won't! So it's been a waiting game. Every week I check, I had hope to see progress. Nothing. So send some vibes over to Fergie. Tell her it's time for showing off her beautiful flowers.

The new growth on the bulb I got from the trade with Sara (sruane) has grown a lot! Growth upwards has stopped. It's now getting plump. Since it produced a growth later than Fergie, it'll probably bloom sometime in Feb/March.

This week, I'll try to get pics of Fergie and her cousin, and post here for you to see.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:22 PM

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
That looks like a new growth pushed downwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuri View Post
I would definitely be interested in participating in future trade projects.

My very first FDK (the one I bought) has produced an interesting growth. What is this? Anyone? It's not a root. It can't be a root. Unless it's decided to suddenly produce rather massive roots... yes, not a root.

As you can see, it has an ant on it. Time to get out Brookn's miracle spray.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 PM

Flower spike? I didn't want to jump the gun on this, but it's taken on a new, promising, flower-like look. Multiple flowers to stem off this, or maybe it's going to be a single? No clue. Take a look!
Attached Thumbnails
fdkspike.jpg   fdkspikeclose.jpg  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zuri For This Useful Post:
exasperatus2002 (10-19-2009), kid a (01-15-2010), Leathal (01-08-2010), mayres (10-19-2009), norris (10-20-2009), Ochin@ (10-20-2009), patticake (11-09-2009), plantloverlisa (10-19-2009), Schlyne (10-22-2009)
Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Maybe Fergie needs a dip in temperature?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,792 Posts
rcb is on a distinguished road
Zuri - that's definitely a spike, and yes you have numerous buds, all those little bumps in the center are very small buds. It will still take a while until it opens, but looks like you are well on your way.

Sorry forgot to say Congrats!

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

www.orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com

Last edited by rcb; 10-19-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: congrats
Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Yes! I've been celebrating ever since this thing came out, but didn't want to be so presumptuous as to assume that it was a spike. This is my first Catassetinae, so I had no expectations for getting it to flower. Needless to say, I'm thrilled!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

LouisW is on a distinguished road
Great going!! Congratulations Zuri! Please keep us Updated! we have all been waiting for this.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Ochin@ is on a distinguished road
How exciting, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait !!!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
That is REALLY COOL Zuri!! Congratulation!!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the congratulations. I feel so lucky to have stumbled into this project, and to have a potential bloom to share on top of it all! (Now I just need to make sure I don't fudge it. )

Growth environment: on a south-facing porch, on the railing. Direct light until around noon, and then again after 5:00pm. Temps between 80 and 95 degrees on average in the day, and 85-70 at night. Lots of wind (so much that I had it wired to the railing!), and high humidity with these North Carolina summers (hygrometer read between 70 & 99 percent). Water every 1-3 days, weak fertilizer once a month. Plus it got splashes of rain whenever it rained. I left it outside until about the first week of October. It saw nights that hit lows of 50 or even 45 (or 40?) degrees, but averaged about 55-60. It is potted in a fine (but not too fine) bark. Right now it's in a south-facing, but porch-covered window in my office. Nights in the low 60s or very high 50s, days in the upper 60s or low 70s. I added a light and a shelfing unit this weekend.

Is there anyway to tell at this point if these are going to be male or female, or whether this a black flower or red spotted one?

Thanks again for the congrats, and I'll be sure to post periodic updates! Any advice on how to be sure not to lose these flowers?

Last edited by zuri; 10-20-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
I wouldn't worry much about losing your flowers! Obviously your orchids is happy; I would be more afraid to change something!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 AM

dorothea is on a distinguished road
congratulations! hope it's the black one
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuri View Post
Is there anyway to tell at this point if these are going to be male or female, or whether this a black flower or red spotted one?

Thanks again for the congrats, and I'll be sure to post periodic updates! Any advice on how to be sure not to lose these flowers?
zuri - These are a mixture of Catasetum, Clowesia and Mormodes. But from what I've seen, Clowesias are dominant in that you get perfect flowers (containing male and female) with the intergeneric crosses containing Clowesia a good bit of the time. Also your spike definitely looks Clowesia dominated.

As for color, looks too soon to tell.

BTW, is your plant still carrying it's leaves?

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcb For This Useful Post:
plantloverlisa (10-30-2009), zuri (10-21-2009)
Old 10-21-2009, 04:11 PM

Plant still has leaves. One has yellowed but it hasn't fallen off yet.

To not change anything is great advice, PhalPal - thanks!

Dorothea, I admit that I hope it's a black one too

RCB, very impressed with your knowledge of spike morphology. You've given me some grounds to go image searching on google... or even through OrchidGeeks. I bet I can find spike pictures for the three genera mentioned. (My tag says Mormoides x Catasetum... didn't realize that there's Clowesia in there too.) Very cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Note ancestry is -
(Clowesia X Mormodes = Momordia) X Catasetum = Fdk
I've had such fun with this thread that I used it as part of a talk at my orchid society this past month!!! Thanks everyone! Keep it going! I'm as anxious as everyone else to see what color your flowers will be Zuri!
After my presentation a number of people wanted to know what color flowers Connie, Jay, & Arlene ended up with - I had to tell them - "stay tuned!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
Fishmom (01-15-2010), Schlyne (11-05-2009), zuri (10-21-2009)
Old 10-21-2009, 04:28 PM

Thank you for the clarification, Mayres. This helps a lot. You're all so smart. Someday I'll know my orchids like you do...
Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM
V.I.P Member

zuri, just reread my post and guess I wasn't very clear - sorry have a head cold right now.

BTW reason I'm betting the odds with Clowesia morphology is:

Many Catasetums have erect spikes and female or male or hermaphroditic flowers. Spike usually starts at the base of the new bulb. Although there are exceptions. Donna Wise - a parent of After Dark is erect.

Clowesias are perfect (containing both male and female parts) flowers, and typically the spike is descending. Spike usually starts at the base of the bulb.

Mormodes are perfect flowers as well, but spike usually starts above the base of the bulb and the spike is typically erect. Mormodes also has a twisted column, but this does not typically come through on the intergeneric hybrids.

From everything I've seen when you cross a Clowesia and a Catasetum, you do typically get the perfect flowers, and the spike tends to be descending - indicating the spike habit of the Clowesia is dominant. What would happen if you cross it back to Catasetum enough times? Not sure. The hybridizing of these types is just not that old for me to have seen many.

With these types of crosses, Mormodes usually adds the color and/or intensity of color.

As for your spike, it looks to be descending, and just the way the buds are arranged on the spike as it is developing looks like my Clowesia x Catasetum crosses - so that is why I suspect you will have the perfect flowers.

Now have to add the disclaimers lol What I've mentioned above are the trends, there will always be exceptions - which btw is what I think make these so exciting!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcb For This Useful Post:
frostychic (02-26-2010), PhalPal (10-22-2009), plantloverlisa (10-30-2009), Schlyne (11-05-2009), zuri (10-21-2009)
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM

sruane is on a distinguished road
I am now checking mine daily, but so far nothing...it still has all its leaves too. I hope you get black flowers as well Zuri (esp. since I have your backbulb growth!).

Sara
Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 PM

I know it'll still be beautiful even if it's not black... right? I don't want to be toooooo disappointed... but the fingers remain crossed.

Great information! Thanks for teaching me about the parentage. I've never grown any of these genera, and have not had a chance to observe their growing habits in any capacity... until now, and even then, my experience is rather limited. Thanks for sharing what you know. Very cool! (By the way, I'd love to see some pictures of your plants when they're spiking, so I can see what you're talking about.) Oh, and perfect flowers sound great

Sruane, glad that your bulb is doing well even if it's not making any big moves. That was a fairly small bulb I sent you, if I remember correctly.

Jay's bulb that he sent me produced a new growth that has lost its leaves. The new growth didn't get nearly as big as the new growth on my other one did. I think that's for two reasons: one, it started growing much later in the season; and two, it was grown indoors. Not as much light. But it's still doing well - and no signs of flowering on this one either.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Congrats on the spike. I do believe you are the first from the group!

I just checked mine and it still has 6 leaves and drinking plenty of water.

I can't wait to see more updates.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Member Photobucket

dtje2000 is on a distinguished road
Zuri, nicely done! You must be thrilled.

You've probably posted the age of your plant...can I ask again?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

All mine still have their leaves and quite honestly I haven't looked at them very closely lately....a surprise would be nice but I won't hold my breath!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 PM

I think it's three, now four years old.

(Three bulbs when I got it, minus the tiny one that shriveled and died, minus one that I sent to sruane... plus a new growth this season, leaving two very healthy bulbs.)

Yes, four years.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Ben G is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhalPal View Post
Nope.
Nope.
Nope. Nope.
I am getting directions to the booth and walking straight to it. Right in, right out. Leaving the keys in the ignition.
That is, of course, unless I just happen to see a Phal Fantasy Musick or a cute little pink Dend like brookn has while on my way......
Its hard leave whitout more than one.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Zuri, I can't take it any longer. Are there are any updates? I am so excited to see the first one bloom. Mine only lost one more leaf. Still have a ways to go. Although, it is still 80F here and that could be the cause of the late cycle.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Member Photobucket

Schlyne is on a distinguished road
I blame you all. I'll have to get in on this project in the future and I would definitely be in on future trades.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 AM

Loki is on a distinguished road
Just a bump to say thanks to everyone involved in the project - it's been riveting watching it all unfold.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 AM

berkeleysgr8 is on a distinguished road
We want updates! *smile*
Old 11-09-2009, 05:47 AM

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
ooooooooooo yes updates please
Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

norris is on a distinguished road
...yes, and pics too!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Okay no pictures ...but mine still have all their green leaves and show no signs of losing them just yet. No nubs or other exciting growths either. I have truly ignored them since July and they have been lucky to be watered once in a while. No fertilizer but they have had good light under T5's. It will be interesting to see what happens with mine.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Member Photobucket

Oh Zuri....where are you??????

It's been three weeks...we need a project fix!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Hey I did my best to offer you your fix!!!!! (sniff sniff) There is just nothing very exciting happening with the rest of us!
But I understand.........Zuri we need a flower!!!

Last edited by PhalPal; 11-09-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhalPal View Post
Okay no pictures ...but mine still have all their green leaves and show no signs of losing them just yet. No nubs or other exciting growths either.
This was a sell job? This was a fix??? hahahahahaaaa

Not your fault, Miss Connie...Zuri has an inflorescence!!!! Flower spike trumps 'no nubs', for sure!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal, I am right there with you. Nothing happening. I have lost a few leaves, but no new nubs anywhere.

I do have two other Catasetinae starting spikes now though. Fingers crossed that it will do something soon.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Mine shows no signs of spiking. I lost 2 leaves finally but that was precipitated by a battle against spider mites and I have a suspicion that the leaves fell off a little prematurely due to the combo of washing the leaves with soap and spraying with pyrethrin over a 2 week period. The remaining leaves look good still.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

But dt! 'Doing nothing' is all I have and I feel an obligation being one of the original three! One of ours MUST bloom and it MUST be black!!! However....anything from Zuri would be fantastic!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 AM

Someone WILL have black blooms for sure! The odds are in your favor!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Well my large bulb is down to two leaves, but no spike yet. I hope I don't miss another year. This thing is huge and should be plenty large enough to flower.

Zuri, I am hoping you are having better luck than me.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM

Ochin@ is on a distinguished road
Zuri, could we have an update on that spike? anticipation is killing me!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Awww, hello guys! Sorry to leave you all hanging like that for so long... I've been busy and don't know where all the time went! The flowers started opening Monday and are now fully open, ready for their first photography session.

They're spotted. I'm mostly pleased as punch, but must admit that I'm just a wee bit disappointed. I think that's why I've held off posting the picture. The outsides of the flowers showed possible/probable spotting about 2-3 weeks ago. They're still stunning and look almost black from a distance. Got 10 flowers in all.

Thanks for your interest and support - and here's to the project! Can't wait for someone else's to bloom. This project reminds me of finding and breaking open geods as a child... never know what you're going to find inside! ... Now I just need to get Jay's bulb to bloom to get this adventure started all over again
Attached Thumbnails
p1010017.jpg   p1010023.jpg  
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to zuri For This Useful Post:
Azure (11-29-2009), berkeleysgr8 (12-07-2009), evagentry (11-29-2009), exasperatus2002 (12-05-2009), frostychic (02-26-2010), jay (11-28-2009), katsrevenge (11-28-2009), kid a (01-15-2010), koshki (12-05-2009), LauraGR (12-29-2009), Leathal (01-08-2010), mayres (11-29-2009), myorchid (11-30-2009), norris (11-29-2009), Ochin@ (12-05-2009), oncidiumlover (12-01-2009), orchidlover55 (01-07-2010), PhalPal (11-30-2009), plantloverlisa (11-28-2009), rcb (11-29-2009), Schlyne (11-29-2009), Undergrounder (11-29-2009)
Old 11-28-2009, 10:01 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
I understand your disappointment. But it is still pretty. And.... it bloomed.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:03 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

YAY! The first blooms from our After Dark trading project. I am so excited for you. I am a little jealous too. My After Dark is down to two leaves and still nothing new starting.

If you have time I would love to see a picture of the whole plant to see what stage it is in during flowering. I feel I may have already passed my flowering window.

Anyone else get any spikes yet?

Last edited by jay; 11-29-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 PM

Ben G is on a distinguished road
Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks so much for posting - don't be too disappointed - it is a wonderful flower regardless........
Old 11-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Executive Senior Member

evagentry is on a distinguished road
It may not be black but it is still beautiful! Thank you all for keeping up with this thread, it's an enjoyment.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:54 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

norris is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! I think you have a really cool looking flower there. Is there any scent?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 AM

Hello!
No scent to these. I snapped a quick picture of the whole plant. I think it's only lost one leaf - and that was... 2 months ago? (Compare to the little bulb jay sent me, which has gone completely dormant.)

mayres, thanks for the reminder that it's a wonderful flower regardless. it sure is. really, it's amazing. i showed some camera phone pictures to some friends last night and they couldn't believe their eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
snapshot.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zuri For This Useful Post:
jay (12-01-2009), koshki (12-05-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Zuri that is one cool spike!!! Black would be the icing, but great flowers are still really perfect. One of us will have the elusive black.

Mine still have all their leaves. I was really busy over the holiday and haven't been staring at my orchids and really was expecting a big surprise....but Noooo-oooo! Still green leaves!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 PM

How about everyone else's? Leaves?

PhalPal, I know exactly what you mean. You think that by leaving them alone for a bit they're sure to finally grow up a bit and do something spectacular...
Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,035 Times in 333 Posts
benetay is on a distinguished road
This is an amazing thread! best of luck to everyone!

Cheers!

Benetay Photography

Bulbophyllum blog
Old 12-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Revision! The flowers smell amazing! Kind of like a chocolate rose... not sure how to describe it. Every other time I smelled them, nothing. It's noon and I just watered it and noticed this amazing smell that wasn't the BLC in bloom right now...
Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

If it smells anything like I remember, I thought it was like a cross of eucalyptus and mint. Not sure if they can have different scents like they have different flowers though.

Still nothing on mine. Down to one leaf and looking like it is ready for its nap.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 AM

Gorgeous flowers. Really a stunning color combo. Sorry they're not black though. *frown* I wish you could post scents like you can photos! I would love to be able to experience that scent!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I have a brown leaf!! YEAH!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

LOL - This is the first celebration I've ever seen for a "brown" leaf!
The Following User Says Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
PhalPal (12-19-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Undergrounder is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the brown leaf!!

Although that's something i achieve with minimal effort...
The Following User Says Thank You to Undergrounder For This Useful Post:
PhalPal (12-19-2009)
Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I am sad to say that I believe I have passed my flowering window again. This plant has to very large bulbs, but did nothing but grow a lot of leaves this year. Here it is today with no leaves. I have just stopped the watering and I am going to let it go to sleep for the winter. Not sure why it didn't flower again. I would get the stubborn one.
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg  
Old 12-19-2009, 02:52 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I wouldn't give up just yet Jay! Orchids are always surprising us and we really don't have much of a track record with blooming these guys so anything is possible.

All I have is the one brown leaf. One. Mike is right; every day I run to my Fdks and I'm disappointed all my leaves are green and growing! Dang.

I'll update with pics and measurements when all my leaves drop, which could be awhile at this rate.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Aceetobe is on a distinguished road
They can flower as late as Feb, so don't lose hope, thats def. blooming size. Fred lets his GH go to 55F in the wintertime, so perhaps a little nippy air will kick it into gear.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:15 PM

Mine are still super green and leafy. No signs of anything happening.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM

HeatherAnnn is on a distinguished road
Jay what kind of orchids are they? Are they Phals? That is the only kind I have, and I know I can keep it alive! I would love one that size!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
you should go to the Sunset Valley website and read about the culture for these type of plants as it is quite different from the care that phals need

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Aceetobe is on a distinguished road
FYI

I hadn't had any fredclarkeara's spike this season yet, and today I noticed that 3 were pushing out spikes. So....there is still hope for people.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 AM

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
sorry to be so far behind, just catching up again.

Zuri, that is a stunner, I certainly wouldn't be the least bit disappointed.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanked 3,074 Times in 552 Posts
ysanabria is on a distinguished road
I'm new to the thread, I got my baby from Jay couple of weeks ago and I just finished with the 9 pages!! So much fun and a lot info!
I'm excited because tomorrow is the largest annual orchid event of the season and hence is billed as “South Florida’s Winter Orchid Extravaganza.” I hope that I just dont go crazy and I can control myself, big test for my addiction
Sunset Valley Orchids is going to be there So any good suggestions on what should I get from there will be great!!
I will post some pics from the show!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Just talk to whoever is there representing them. If it is Fred himself, he is very knowledgeable, very nice, and very willing to share and teach. Tell him you are from Orchid Geeks. He is familiar with the following and our trade projects. Peter, aka MiniCatts, also works for Fred from time to time. He is also very nice, knowledgeable, and willing to help.

So, my recommendation is to come away with whatever you can hold in your arms.
They won't guide you wrong if you tell them about what you can offer.
ysanabria (01-29-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Thanked 3,074 Times in 552 Posts
ysanabria is on a distinguished road
Peter was there and we had a great talked. He say Hi!! I bought couple of beauties!!
I got a Clo. Rebecca northen "grapefruit pink", Morm. Ogneum 'orange'
and an amazing paph very dark!! Paph Cecilia Devine x Paph Satchel Paige!!
thank you
Attached Thumbnails
17065_281094031034_535036034_4111698_572647_n.jpg   17065_281094091034_535036034_4111705_3399483_n.jpg   17065_281094101034_535036034_4111706_2911223_n.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysanabria For This Useful Post:
berkeleysgr8 (02-10-2010), myorchid (02-01-2010), PhalPal (02-01-2010)

« Ferd is awake! | - »