Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project April 2010 > Aerangis biloba

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Mike's Aerangis biloba

I have NEVER tried to grow any plants in this genera, and quite frankly - trying this one is SCARY for me. I suppose it is good to venture out every now and then away from our comfort zone though - right? Except for phals, I have not got a good record with any other genera when it comes to small seedling sized plants. I tend to not give them enough attention and over time they just "fade into the sunset". I'm hoping with this plant, with culture similar to our other challenge plant, that I will be sticking with it and we will come out on the other side in good shape? Time will tell.
To make it even more scary I'm also attempting to grow this plant exactly the same media-wise as my Intermedia challenge plant - in S/H and mounted on clay - neither method of which I have much experience in nor any proven track record - so .......Yikes! The pictures I've viewed on the internet of this plant are just fabulous and I'm hoping for great things - if not from me, then from some of the other Geeks here! This is one cool plant with really cool blooms as far as I'm concerned.
I got these plants April 14th and potted as shown here the following weekend. Fingers crossed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20100425_41a.jpg (33.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20100425_39a.jpg (32.6 KB, 59 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
berniep (04-26-2010)
Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 AM

maria1971 is on a distinguished road
Aerangis for me are easy. I keep waiting for the difficult part. Looks great.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,877 Times in 2,961 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
Looks good Mike. the two I just bought I mounted one and potted the other in a seedling mix.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,002 Times in 558 Posts
tansyflower is on a distinguished road
Lol "fade into the sunset"...
Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Five weeks into our project and my bilobas have not done much of anything yet - maybe because it has been too cool and overcast/rainy? The good news is that they are both still alive!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I know for sure mine have not done much of anything either. It must be the nature of the orchid.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

trinigirl is on a distinguished road
They look so cute, looks like either media is good for the bilobas?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Anisa is on a distinguished road
Mine havent done anything either, except loosing some roots that were outside the medium. I am thinking about repotting it.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
Mine has started a new leaf. I got the 10-pack of seedlings when I ordered the two project plants. A couple of those are starting to look iffy.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Lynne - did you take a "family" portrait when received? I'd love to see it if you did? If not then - soon?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I didn't take a "family portrait." But I will. It will be a few days though. I'll be in and out of town. Maybe I can get input on the Pescatoria and an Epi. that are starting to hurt. They re still on baking racks, on baking pans in the patio. I've been afraid to move them to the GH due to heat issues in there. (yet another post) but I need to figure out something before I ruin my bakeware. Plus I might need it; I do bake on occasion.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

A little over three months of taking care of these two little guys - I've been somewhat nervous about them from the get go - they seemed fragile and petite.......
The plant in S/H did not take to me well at all. I transferred it to coir mix two weeks ago before it totally disappeared into thin air. It was gradually loosing leaf after leaf - not sure why? It is now tiny-er than ever, but at least appears to now be stable?
My plant mounted on the clay saucer is holding its own - growing slightly.....
Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

So far I have left mine potted as it came. I only water. I haven't fertilized, etc. Currently mine is in a pretty low light spot. They all need shifting.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
hi, Miguel -

i think Aerangis like high temps and high humidity, so your overcast weather may not be helping. any chance you can move this in with your light set? it may benefit from that. i'm a little concerned about how small the other one is. i know they take similar care as Phals, but these just seem more fragile!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Well......it will be a year in a few more weeks. Our local society is actually bringing in their challenge plants the month of May - so mid month (in about six weeks) I hope to have a group photo to share with you all!
In the mean time - here is what my seedlings look like.
Alas, the plant I started out in S/H didn't make it. I transferred to coir, but didn't do well there either. I'm not taking total credit for its demise as the roots on this particular plant were not in good condition to start with, but I was hopefull initially that it would come around.
My other plant has not grown much - a few leaves have just recently turned slightly discolored - don't know if this should be of concern or not? Don't know how long they should last - or when their natural shedding takes place?
Looking forward to seeing some other forum plants for comparison!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110410_113a.jpg (50.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,792 Posts
rcb is on a distinguished road
Mike, I have two of these, both are non-performers. So, last fall, I did some research into the natural habitat. I don't remember the details I found, but based on it, through the winter I kept it in intermediate temps, increased light, and let them dry out very well before watering again. They are both mounted.

With it warm here now, I've reduced the light, and increased the watering. Both are actively growing roots and new leaves. Will have to see if I get blooms now and if my winter culture changes worked.

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

www.orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com
Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I keep hoping to see some changes in my survivor once nice weather returns, but so far we have basically had NO SPRING! One day the month of March with no rain. I'm thinking a little sun might start something (?), but so far only clouds for the most part.......
Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Mine have moved like molassas in their growth, but still doing good. One mounted the other potted. Will hae to take a picture to compare. sorry your one didn't make it.

Synda
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
V.I.P. Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,044 Posts
koshki is on a distinguished road
Hi Mike,
S/h has been a death knell to nearly every plant I've tried it in. I guess I rescued my biloba in enough time, but then I put it in straight sphag where it languished for the longest time. Your photo is too cute, in a sad way!

The cheater biloba I bought in spike last fall arrived in a 4" hard plastic basket with bark, and it was going like gangbusters. So I decided to try that method, and now have the previously terminal biloba, a fastousa, and a luteo-alba rhodisticta in it, and they are all doing nicely. The biloba is putting out two new roots and a new leaf, which is more than it did the entire time I've had it!

I water them sometimes every day, sometimes every other day. Kinda depending on how busy I am. But they seem to like going a bit dry before a watering.

I like the baskets because they're shallow...I line them with coco fibre first to keep the bark from falling out. This way lots of air gets to the roots, and the bark can dry easily, without holding too much moisture that leads to root rot.

I still have one on a clay saucer, but it has not done anything much. It's not even green like yours!