Thread: Flat mite?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
I have been recommending neem, but I have had the very disagreeable situation where the neem is not killing mites like it used to, even tho they say mites can not develop an immunity to neem. My neem available around here is the hydrophilic extract. I am wondering if some sort of manufacturing problem has arisen, tho I think I have used neem from different stores, it was always the Fertilome brand.

I have just started to use Bayer Advance 3 in 1, not to be confused with the 'All in 1' or the 'Rose and Flower' or the 'Tree & Shrub' or the 'Lawn and ... . None of those work on mites, only the B. A. 3 in 1, and it appears to be very gentle on all my orchids. So far the results are very good. I hope I never have to use the neem again, just to much damage to too many plants.

Flat/Phal mites do not make webs. They also have a very long life cycle compared to spider mites, a month for flat mites, compared to a week for spider mites. So you want to respray 3 or so weeks apart.

When you spray, put on a rubber/latex glove and lift the leaves to cover ALL surfaces, especially the underside of the leaves, where mites spend all their time. They are chlorophyll eaters, so don't worry much about flowers or roots.

I bought the 3 in 1 at Lowes.

Prescott Orchid Society