Thread: Is it too late?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I would wait. They are winding down now so holding off not only isn't going to hurt them one bit but it's also better to let them be.

I do all of my ctsm repots just before they break dormancy or just as they are starting to wake up. I think the fresh medium is also a boost for the fast growth about to get started. That and I like to put time release fert in the pots so they have a lot of nutrients to push the coming growth.

I should add...I have been potting mine in straight sphag for a couple/few years now and even with all the watering and heavy fert...the sphag is always fine. Some years I simply put the plant into a larger pot w/out taking off the older sphag and I just back fill w/new sphag and I have never had any root issues. I tend to get a lot of roots that carry over for a few years and I feel that is the reason I get such good growth and blooming from my Ctsm. I've even divided many and most never skip a beat w/the next bloom cycle. I use NZ sphag...the supreme/AAAAA (ie - expensive!) stuff but it's worth the extra cost because it does last a lot longer and I never have root troubles. I just wish the high end sphag helped w/spider mites! It never fails...come late summer/fall when temps are hot and it's dry...I battle those little bastards and they love, love, love my Ctsm. So, yea, you'll be fine holding off - even in sphag.
Bolero (04-12-2017), sunshine (04-12-2017)