View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 AM

cooked is on a distinguished road
Epiphyte orchids

Hi, I joined yesterday and realised that I don't even know the species names of my orchids. Since moving to Thailand three years ago I have been sporadically buying orchids, the most expensive was about $5.- No way are any of them labelled, they are just 'orchids'. I treated them all the same, potted up in coconut shells with coconut chippings as a growing media, half shadow, rain water every day and liquid feed every week. They did very well.
I built a dog pound which means that some of them are now getting no sun at all. It is getting cold now (16C this morning) meaning that the flowering buds are not moving, no new shoots are developing and that out of 25 plants only two are blooming now. So how do I ID the plants? I knew all the wild growing Swiss species, north of the Alps anyway but these Thai hybrids have me stymied, I should like to get everything optimal (potting medium, sun exposure, fertiliser and watering) before it gets warm again.
Most orchid have very nice pictures of the flowers in close up, but there are obvious differences even when there are no flowers. So I enclose a couple of pictures and am asking if there is a website for IDing orchids without flowers? I looked for an hour this morning. Not very good fotos I'm afraid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-31 10.41.29.jpg (79.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-12-31 10.42.01.jpg (42.6 KB, 16 views)