Thread: Seed Pod?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Encyclia tempensis is native to Florida, but not exclusively Florida.

I have always heard that it is named after Tampa. They certainly have adopted it.

It should do fine in the basket. I have grown hundreds and they like their roots exposed and hated the seedling mix I originally tried.

They are protected from collecting in the wild, but can be harvested from private property. They grow wild from Tampa to the Everglades. They are almost impossible to find since they are so small.

I have a neighbor who has them on his property and can only find them when in bloom.

A development was clearing 100 acres of old forest and the president of our orchid society was invited to take anything he wanted from the burn piles before they were gone. He got pieces of tempensis three feet across. They were re-introduced into oak trees on Pine Island. They should do well.