Thread: Repotting Phal
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 12:08 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Anne - Yes, any roots that are without substance dried (thin and dehydrated/wrinkled like paper) or rotted should be removed when you repot. When you feel them if they are hard/thick - I would attempt to coax as many of these as possible down into the media. If you have lots of roots it certainly would not hurt to trim a few sections here and there as you choose. You certainly could leave any you like as aerial roots - of course they do this in the wild - obtaining moisture and nutrients from their natural humid environment. Most people I know put styrofoam peanuts in the bottom of their pots for drainage - I have done this with all my phals as well. If you ever do this be careful not to use the wrong type - some of them react with water and turn into "goo". The jury is out on whether or not colored ones are OK too. I stick with the very firm white type. Good luck - mike