View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidea View Post
Here is my update and concerns about my first and only Phrag...
I am afraid I am overwatering it.
Hmmmm, not likely unless the mix has all rotted and broken down and rotted. Phrags do best when repotted every year. When was it last repotted?
Quote:
It's standing in the 3/4 inch of rain water all the time. I am changing it about every 3-4 days. But I found new roots growing upwards (see pic's). What could be the reason if not overwatering?...
Roots of most all orchids will grow every which way. That could be the reason they're growing upwards. It's not necessarily a sign of something wrong. Now if you weren't getting any new roots at all....
Quote:
I thought you can't overwater besseae, I have read it somewhere, I remember clearly............
Probably here, possibly even from me. Like I said above unless the mix is a rotten mess you really can't overwater them.
Quote:
The other concern I have is the bud is looking downwards.....The second bud is forming there....
Is this normal for the bud to look down so much or it's unhappy for some reason????????
It's perfectly ok. Sometimes if the spike has been re-flowering for some time the stem gets weaker towards the tip and can't hold the flower upright like the first blossoms but your besseae looks completely normal to me in all respects.

Worries be gone!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
Forever-mango (06-20-2010), orchidea (06-18-2010), starwhiz (06-22-2010), zaeem (06-22-2010)